Friday, March 14, 2014

March 14th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Exodus 17:1-7
1 From the wilderness of Sin the whole congregation of the Israelites journeyed by stages, as the Lord commanded. They camped at Rephidim, but there was no water for the people to drink. 2 The people quarreled with Moses, and said, "Give us water to drink." Moses said to them, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the Lord?" 3 But the people thirsted there for water; and the people complained against Moses and said, "Why did you bring us out of Egypt, to kill us and our children and livestock with thirst?" 4 So Moses cried out to the Lord, "What shall I do with this people? They are almost ready to stone me." 5 The Lord said to Moses, "Go on ahead of the people, and take some of the elders of Israel with you; take in your hand the staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6 I will be standing there in front of you on the rock at Horeb. Strike the rock, and water will come out of it, so that the people may drink." Moses did so, in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7 He called the place Massah and Meribah, because the Israelites quarreled and tested the Lord, saying, "Is the Lord among us or not?"

Reflection
You're in pain, you're suffering and you're complaining all the time. That's how it is for me many times in my life. I focus on the pain and forget about the blessings. I focus on what I'm lacking and can't see in front of my face what abundance I live with. I focus on the hate and forget to love. There's no water to drink in this case. I'm thirsty and I'm tired of living this way. I can't take it any longer. I've been there and am one of the best at complaining. I fight with God over all the little things that seem like big things in my life and forget about God all together. I forget about God's true power to bring not only me but thousands, maybe millions and more likely billions of people out of the wildernesses of their lives.

I look on the television and see children in Syria being born into muddy refugee camps and yet I complain about some pain I have. But, I still thirst for water! What's wrong with me? Lord, why did you lead me into this life just to kill me off in this way? Couldn't you have taken my life in some other way? Why am I thirsty?

And then God does it! Then the rock opens up and abundant water flows. Life giving water flows and satisfies my every desire. Sure, God has been there all along, but why did my self-centered attitude focus all of my attention upon myself? Why do I sin in this way? After all... just look around... the need... the suffering... yet the blessing God provides.

If this doesn't drop a person to their knees before God in repentance then nothing will. Before God I come full of reasons to repent of my sin. I fall to the foot of that cross and slowly look upon my Savior who has become my sin and put it to death upon that cross right in front of me. I fall in need of forgiveness. And in that gracious act of forgiveness, I must act. I must reach out in the midst of my own wilderness to those in the midst of their own wildernesses. I must react and tell them of a God that is full of blessing. I must proclaim that even in the midst of the wilderness, God will provide life giving water. Even in death there is life... just look up from where I am at the base of that cross... yes! even in death there is life as Jesus dies upon that cross in my sin. Yes... I know there is a resurrection. I know of a new life in Christ that only comes through the wilderness of temptation, suffering and death.

So, I give thanks for that water that flows from that rock of salvation. The water that flows in the wilderness that draws me to fall in repentance at the foot of the cross and give thanks to God! Now with my heart soft and pliable, I live by the grace of God... even in the wilderness of pain and suffering and sin. I live because of what God has done... and only because of what God has done.

Thanks be to God!

Here is a song that I leave you with that reminds me of myself in the midst of the wilderness and that awesome love of God that is freely given through that life-giving water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcqria2wmg

Prayer
Lord, lead me to act out your love to those that walk in the wilderness of pain, illness, suffering, hunger, homelessness that all may come to see the life giving water you have graciously given to us in Jesus Christ... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: