Monday, September 17, 2012

September 17th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Jeremiah 11:18-20 (New Revised Standard)
18 It was the Lord who made it known to me, and I knew; then you showed me their evil deeds. 19 But I was like a gentle lamb led to the slaughter. And I did not know it was against me that they devised schemes, saying, "Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, let us cut him off from the land of the living, so that his name will no longer be remembered!" 20 But you, O Lord of hosts, who judge righteously, who try the heart and the mind, let me see your retribution upon them, for to you I have committed my cause.

Reflection
"You were half asleep when you tried to take those pills!" 

Words spoken to me when late in the night I stumbled to the medicine shelf to find some pain pills for a kidney stone that was bothering me. My wife, Sue, knows to watch over me when I get up in the middle of the night. I don't watch closely what I am doing and the pain overtakes my brain in deciding what is the correct thing to do. Sue, makes sure the dosage is correct before I take the pills. Sue, also gets upset with me and warns me out of love.

In this passage we read of plots against Jeremiah. Jeremiah didn't know that the people were leading him to the slaughter by their schemes. So, Jeremiah turns to God and depends on God because, Jeremiah has committed his life to God.

This is how we must act when confused. We turn to God and listen to God's Word and will and way. We can turn to Scripture, to a Christian friend and even listen carefully to hear God speaking through other people. We listen to God and depend on the love God speaks through the Word of the Bible and the Word of the Church and the words of Christian friends and groups. We pray and discern God's will for us. It's important to take the time to follow God's command in your life through the love God has shown us through Jesus Christ.

Prayer
Lord, I turn to you in the decisions of life and look for your guidance and love... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: