Saturday, April 28, 2018

I Can't Imagine!


John 15:1-8

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.

Reflection

Abide in me... What does this mean? Abide?

First off, abide is a verb. Abide is something that I must do. Abide gives me an action to take. Abide in me... should I take this as a command?

A definition I have seen reflects the meaning of abide to be an acceptance. How do I accept? What am I accepting?

It seems in this passage Jesus is telling us to accept him. To accept him not only because Jesus wants us to accept him but even more, to accept him because without him we are on our own to live and die, and that will be that. Jesus is offering us a chance at eternal life in him. In him and through him we can have eternal life, salvation, and a life that is beyond anything we could ever imagine on our own.

When we "abide" in Jesus we live a life and bear fruit of which we can't even begin to understand on our own. Without this "abide" we bear no fruit. We receive no nourishment to support anything. Without Jesus we can't even support our own life. Without Jesus we dry up and die and become fuel for the fire.

But what if... what if... we accept?

Jesus' words will be with us. We bear fruit. We receive nourishment. Everlasting nourishment that glorifies God, and we are disciples. We become new and refreshed and wonderful creations of God that are created for life and love, and eternally connected to the only source of life through the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Abide in me... What does this mean?

It means life with endless possibilities and endless love in the God of you and of me and of all creation. I CAN'T only imagine! Surely I will be surprised by the endless mysteries God has in store for me. And that is more than all I need.

Prayer

I can't imagine! Nope, Lord, I can't imagine, but I accept the awesome gift of life you offer as I abide in you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: