Friday, August 12, 2022

Baptism

 Today, I think of baptism. Jesus baptism in contrast to my baptism specifically. 

Both are a death to self. Jesus died in obedience to the Father's will.

It wasn't easy. Jesus was human too. I don't think he wanted death. I don't think he wanted the suffering and the pain. But he was obedient to the will of the Father. So, Jesus faced the baptism of death.

And then came those few days in the tomb of his death. Under the water so to speak. Dead to the world, yet being changed and brought to life, resulting in resurrection.

I live a lifetime of baptisms of a sort. Each day I must die to myself. None of this life is about me. But rather through the gift of baptism, I find my death to self, under that water, and I see only a life in God as I arise from the tomb of those waters, to see the Light of God shining brightly into my now open eyes. 

It never was about me  and my life. It was always about God and the life given to me... even in my sin and death and selfishness. God displays to me a division in my life lived to me and his life lived in me. 

A huge division! My life, lived for me, will only result in my death and eternal damnation. God's life lived in me results in my death to self, and a resurrection to life with, in and for God.

Only through God can I live. 

And I can expect it to take my lifetime to die to myself and my sinfulness each and every day. 

But in the end... it's God who gives me life eternal... nothing about myself.  Wonderfully, a love that God has for me... and for you. And it's all free!

Thanks be to God!

No comments: