Saturday, August 19, 2023

And There Was Silence - Matthew 15:21-28 - The Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost

 


And There Was Silence

Matthew 15:21-28 ESV

And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” And he answered, “It is not right to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.” She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.” Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.

This is a disturbing passage for me for multiple reasons. So, here, I’ll attempt to be honest with myself and honest with the word. In my heart and from readings out of the Bible, I like to think that God accepts me and all people. I like to think that God blesses his children and is impartial. Yet, as I read this passage, I get a tinge of doubt. Unfounded doubt, for the most part, but doubt still the same. Yet, also in this passage, I witness Law and Gospel. Law and Gospel for me and for you and for this Canaanite Women.

I suppose the first think to note is a bit of geography. Jesus went away from there… There where? It seems from the previous chapter that the there is Gennesaret. Gennesaret is a region or town on the northwest shore of the Sea of Galilee.


Gennesaret was within the boundaries of Israel, but Tyre and Sidon were outside the boundaries of Israel. Jesus had left his own land and now was in the Gentile world.




I mentioned last week that Jesus was at a turning point in his ministry. And this turning point begins to play out now. Tyre and Sidon were two notoriously ungodly cities. As Jesus traveled with his disciples a Canaanite woman approached the group seeking Jesus’ help for her demon oppressed daughter.

It's in this next moment of the scripture that I am stunned, shocked, yet as I ponder and reflect now, I’m enlightened by Jesus. The moment? … Jesus did not answer her a word.

What? Why? How callous! Yet once again. In the past two weeks of reflection, Jesus, both times attempted to seek God in prayer alone. Perhaps prayer in silence. Jesus withdrew to a deserted place to pray and then to a mountain to pray. I presume he prayed in silence. Maybe or maybe not, but it makes sense to me that Jesus wanted to be alone in prayer in silence.

And here once again, I see Jesus in silence. The silence of Jesus strikes me. Perhaps, in silence Jesus searches the heart of this Canaanite woman, perhaps in silence Jesus searches my heart and your heart as well. How many times does Jesus seem to watch this world in silence? It seems silence strikes Jesus many times. In silence Jesus glances at his disciples, perhaps at his betrayal, his denial and perhaps as his death upon the cross. In silence Jesus forgives the world of sin for they know not what they do. In silence Jesus stands before his persecutors prior to his crucifixion. I can see and feel the sighs of Jesus as he sees my sinfulness. And I’m reassured that Jesus prays for me, and you and all the world in silence. Maybe I’m wrong about this… but I don’t think so.

I’m reminded of Psalm 46:10 … “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46 is the inspiration for Luther’s hymn, “A Mighty Fortress.”  Verse 10 especially leans towards our need to trust in God for salvation. And like the Canaanite woman, I too cry, “Lord, help me.” And like the Canaanite woman, I am not of God’s Chosen People from the House of Israel. I still need Jesus, just as the Canaanite woman needs Jesus, Israelite or not.

May Jesus meet my cry for help in the same way he met the Canaanite woman’s cry for help… with silence. Jesus meet my cry, I pray, with your prayer of silence. Your prayer for me as deep as eternity. Yet a silence of only a moment.

And call me what you want, but I need your help, Jesus! Maybe I am a doggie or a puppy, I still need your help. Just as Peter realized in the Tenth chapter of Acts, the Holy Spirit fell on all who hear God’s Word and believed, both Jew and Gentile. In the Gospel passage above, Jesus sees the faith of the woman right before his eyes. God gives us the faith we need to believe, and believe we must before Jesus as we seek help. The woman and myself and perhaps you too, will take help in our time of need no matter what Jesus’ attitude about her, me or you, may be.

As for me, I know my sinful heart needs Jesus. I need Jesus to live. And I am not too humble to beg as a doggie or puppy for the scraps of grace and love that only Jesus can offer. In the faith God gives to me, I’m not proud, yet I’m humble. So, the reply of the Canaanite woman comes with faith and humility.

And out of the silence of Jesus, breaks forth a resurrection of love and life. Right from the mouth of Jesus… Jesus says, “Be it done for you as you desire.”

A disturbing passage that confirms…

·       God accepts

·       God blesses

·       God’s mercy is impartial

As I stand before God, in silence, I hear the silence of Jesus resurrection to bring me and you and all God’s people to be with him. Not from our own efforts. But from the silence of God’s grace in the prayers of Jesus for each and all of us. Prayers for life for each of us as we turn toward Jesus and proclaim…

“Lord, help me.” --- today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Amen

 






No comments: