Saturday, September 09, 2023

Can Billy Come Out to Play? - Matthew 18:1-20 - The Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost

 


Can Billy Come Out to Play?

Matthew 18:1-20 ESV

At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

“Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

“Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. So, it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again, I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

The disciples once again ask Jesus a question about the Kingdom of Heaven. Who is the greatest? In this passage, Jesus stresses the importance of being a citizen in the Kingdom, rather than, as the disciples are thinking, being a leader in the Kingdom. Jesus has a way of turning the disciples and the rest of us around in our thinking. I fall into this trap, myself. Humility is sometimes hard to come by. As mortals, we tend to want to impress one another with some skill, some money, some leadership, some power, some something. But the Kingdom is not about me or you in a way of authority or prestige. It’s about God and our place before God.

So, Jesus turns to his disciples and teaches, or gives a challenge to change dispositions, change habits, change thinking and turn in repentance from our own selfish ways.

The child in the day of this conversation was rather insignificant in ranking of society. What did a child have to offer in the daily life of the family? Maybe cheap child labor, but still, the child was someone to support and raise and nurture. The child wasn’t a great source of monetary or living advantage for a family attempting to feed one another. Here, Jesus welcomes the insignificant child as if the child were part of Jesus himself. Jesus encourages his disciples to welcome all like children as if they were Jesus. Jesus teaches the disciples to be willing to be insignificant themselves.

Some great attributes of children that all of us should emulate:

·       A child is dependent and trusting

·       A child is friendly and unconscious of rank

·       A child is candid

·       A child lives in constant wonder

·       A child expects great things in life and discovers those great things

·       A child is innocent

As I have aged, I’ve lost most of these traits. Good traits to have. This is where the fun really is found in life. If I would only have thought it all through, and listened to the voice of Jesus, I too, and you as well, could regain these child-like attributes. So, Jesus calls his disciples to turn to God, away from themselves, and become like children that depend fully on God. And we really do depend fully on God. Childlikeness is one of the greatest features of the Kingdom of God, in heaven and on earth. Children gain the entrance into the Kingdom of God. Children bring humility into the Kingdom of God and that’s where things get great.

As we turn to God as his children, I’m reminded of the Introduction to the Lord’s Prayer and Luther’s Explanation. I’ll paraphrase with my own wording here. “Our Father who art in heaven…”

God calls us to come to him as our Daddy. We come to our Daddy in heaven in love and truth and purity; like little children who love their Daddy. We can be bold in his presence and seek the love we need to live in his house and in his presence, because all we have and need comes from this Daddy. We love our Daddy and respect all that he has to say and give to us. He’s our Daddy and we are his children. Our Daddy wants us to come to him and welcomes our presence and listens to our hopes, needs and way of living.

After all, … He’s, our Daddy!

I could leave this reflection right here and be happy. But, let’s go on.

Jesus calls his disciples to treat the weakest with us with the most respect. Yet…

Jesus also tells us that we must be like a child ourselves. Because, we really are children, God’s children.

We are God’s children called to serve God and one another in acts of love, humility and caring. Acts not to gain God’s favor. Our Daddy already favors us, but Daddy wants us to love him and one another, not out of marching orders, but in response to the love God has already given to each of us. To help other Children of God is to help Jesus, and a disciple is called to help the leader… Jesus. We do Jesus actions in Jesus’ name.

In loving God’s children, we desire to observe and teach the commandments. One of the toughest things God sets before us it to rid ourselves to whatever leads us to sin. There are temptations in this world. I fall and fail all the time to these temptations. I wander off and need my Daddy to come after me and pull me back into his arms. I need my Daddy to call me out for what I’ve done wrong. I need his correction, so that I can see my sin and turn back to Daddy for help, guidance and salvation. That’s why here we see, in this passage, some hyperbole on what to do in the face of temptation and sin. God loves us and wants us to be forever with him in his Kingdom. Wouldn’t it not be better to lose an eye, hand or foot, rather than to lose the spirit, which is life itself? God does not want his children to lose true life to temptations. God does not want us to cause others to sin. God stands in horror to those who cause another child to sin, especially the weak, or young or new. To God, our Father, our Daddy; each person is highly valued and loved deeply.

And in this love, our God teaches us to love all people with a compassionate concern to seek the lost with love and understanding, bringing each one home to live with us in the flock of God’s Kingdom forever. For we are citizens, children, in God’s Kingdom, each guarded with God’s angels. God values the “little ones.” God calls us to imitate the shepherd and go after the lost sheep. And don’t we all wander off and some time or another?

And don’t get caught up in the what about the ninety-nine left behind. Remember they are loved and cared for and protected with the fresh dew on green grass and loved already forever by God. Each one a soul of earth’s ultimate worth. Everyone is dear to Jesus’ love.

So, what of the one sheep who does not wish to return? Tough but loving action takes place. Sometimes it’s a discipline washed in love and patience and prayer. We reach out. Not once, but over and over and over again in many and various ways. We reach out to the lost, one on one, with a few and in the congregation.

As we reach out to the one sheep who does not wish to return, we need to know that forgiveness is not indifference to sin. The offender needs time to turn to God and now is to be loved through the sure message of Law and Gospel, in hopes that he will turn to God. But if and when he doesn’t turn to God; we still love him. We evangelize those who choose not to turn to God. We don’t exclude them. We rinse and repeat in the hope and love that the lost in sin may turn to God. No! We don’t want them to turn to ourselves, for our self-glorification, as many of us fall into this trap. We want the lost to turn to God and fall into the Shepherds arms being led back to the flock. But at some point, we must let it go to the actions of the Shepherd.

This Gospel passage was an emotionally long one for me. It led me through my sin to the Gospel of the love of God in Jesus. It calls me to turn to my Daddy in prayer and it teaches me how to love those God gives to me each and every day. I know I will fail in all of this, but that’s where I must turn to God’s Word and speak to God and listen to him. I can’t hide my sin from God. I acknowledge daily that I will fail at all of this, but God assures me that he has fulfilled the Law for me out of his eternal love in Christ Jesus.

Lord, forgive this reflection of mine where I need forgiveness, speak your Word to me that I may hear your call. Speak your Gospel through me to those in the need of hearing about your love and salvation. For, I am your child, called to the action to follow Jesus in his love for all those you give to me, today, tomorrow and forever. Amen

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: