Saturday, February 10, 2024

Give Me Jesus - Mark 9:2-9 - Transfiguration of Our Lord

 


Mark 9:2-9 ESV

And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became radiant, intensely white, as no one on earth could bleach them. And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses, and they were talking with Jesus. And Peter said to Jesus, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here. Let us make three tents, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” For he did not know what to say, for they were terrified. And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, “This is my beloved Son; listen to him.” And suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone with them but Jesus only.

And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of Man had risen from the dead.

Give Me Jesus

The Transfiguration of Our Lord. This event has special meaning for me. It reminds me of a high moment in my short walk with God in this life of mine. It reminds me of a fuzzy memory that happened to me as a young child living on Washington Street in Sidney Ohio. I could only have been five or six. How could I have this memory. Perhaps it was a dream. Perhaps it was a combination of things, like hearing a sermon on the Transfiguration at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Sidney from Pastor Swinehart. Somehow, I imagine his yelling and spittle from the pulpit in my young mind. This memory could not be real, in the sense of this world. So, here it is…

I hear a knock at the front door of our house on Washington Street. I go to answer the door. As I open the door I see Jesus, Moses, Elijah and someone else that I don’t know. Jesus says, “Can Billy come out to play.” And I do.

That’s it! That’s my high point! At least one of them. It was a Transfiguration moment for me! Not Jesus! Surely, I misunderstand something! Surely my memory, then, and today play tricks on me. Surely, I’m wrong in this recollection.

Or, maybe not. As in the passage of scripture above, this was a high hour for the disciples. And this is a high hour for each of us as well. It reminds me to keep my vision clear in mind for all my days to come. You see, Jesus shines BRIGHT into your life, as a disciple and believer. For from Jesus, we witness the spirit of Truth. These high moments, these high hours are Worship, pure and simple. Keep these moments close to your heart. Experience these moments each time we gather and worship.

As I reflect on this passage from Mark; it becomes obvious to me that we only need Jesus. Our focus needs to be on Jesus. There is no communication from Moses or Elijah in this passage. Moses and Elijah witness to Jesus in their lives. Moses presents the Law to the Israelites. The Law that none of us can keep. However, this Law is kept and fulfilled by Jesus. Elijah points to Jesus in his prophecy of the salvation of God for all people.

Some believe that Moses and Elijah were translated into heaven without experiencing death. From my study, Moses, maybe? It doesn’t seem to match my studies. Elijah, yes. But, what about Jesus? Was he translated into heaven? No! Jesus dies on the cross. Jesus dies on that cross for you, for me, to defeat sin, death and evil. Jesus dies on the cross full of my sin and your sin. Jesus takes the sins of the people upon himself to the cross. Jesus! Jesus, did NOT sin. Yet he takes my sin to the cross.

Here, Moses and Elijah and a few disciples are present with Jesus and I imagine that they too, all of their lives have been pointing to Jesus. And this particular event points us to the cross and points Jesus to the cross. This event beckons us to follow Jesus to the cross. This event occurred about four months prior to Jesus’ death on the cross. Some scholars believe it happened on Mt. Hermon. Maybe it also happened at a high point in my life and your life, as well.

Could this be a resurrection story? Jesus does shine bright. However, I think not. The Transfiguration Points to Jesus. This Transfiguration points to Jesus’ future glory at his second coming.

God has been coming to his people, to you, to me, throughout time. Especially in “high” places.

Exodus 24:16-17 ESV

16 The glory of the Lord dwelt on Mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days. And on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the midst of the cloud. 17 Now the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel.

Daniel 7:9 ESV

“As I looked,

thrones were placed,
    and the Ancient of Days took his seat;
his clothing was white as snow,
    and the hair of his head like pure wool;
his throne was fiery flames;
    its wheels were burning fire.

Yes, visions, memories, sightings of God in the lives of his people. “Can Billy come out to play?”

Jesus, transfigured. Jesus changed into what he really has always been all along. Transfiguration is described as an act of metamorphosis. A change from within. Perhaps as an Epiphany. Here we see God in Jesus in his true nature.

I’m not sure if this transfiguration is with Jesus alone, however. Perhaps we are transfigured as well with our own “high” experiences with God, with Jesus, with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Perhaps we begin our own transfiguration as we come up from the waters of our baptism and the Word is spoken over us and the Promise of God is given to us. The Promise of God accepting each of us as His Child of God. Perhaps as we turn to God from the depths of our sin, each day, sometimes many times during the day; we too are continuing a transfiguration, a metamorphosis, into what God desires for us to become. Perhaps we are becoming God’s dependent Child.

In this Transfiguration, the era of the Messiah is about to begin. The era in which the Law and the Prophets have all been pointing to throughout time. An era in which God will show his saving grace for all the people in Jesus’ death.

However, just like the disciples of this passage; we can’t rest here in God’s glory. Jesus beckons Billy from the front door to come out to play. I must, you must, all the believers and disciples of Jesus, must follow Jesus to the cross. We can’t attempt to “house” Jesus on this earth. We can invite Jesus in to play, but we can’t stay home. We may think we can house Jesus here in these “booths” we want to make, but, NO! We must go out. We must follow Jesus and witness Jesus taking on our sin and giving his life for our sin. We must!

We must take the Word of God into ourselves. And… Listen! For this IS Jesus! This is God! We must leave this open door, leave this high place, and as we go, we must listen to Jesus for a lifetime!

In this Transfiguration, in this High point, is the climax of the Transfiguration. Jesus IS God! Jesus IS God’s Son! Jesus IS God’s Word! Listen!

As we hear the voice of God at Jesus’ baptism; we once again hear the voice of God at this Transfiguration. And we will not only hear, we will see, God himself, present in Jesus at his suffering and death. For God comes to save each of us from our sin. God comes to save each of us from the punishment we deserve. God comes and takes our punishment for us.

Yet, as the disciples and Jesus depart from this “High” place. Jesus bids them to keep silent. How long? Till the Resurrection! For, Resurrection follows death. This is a hard lesson to hear and understand.

Was the Transfiguration a return of Jesus to heaven? No! This was sinless Jesus going to the cross, for me, for you, for all.

Lord, light us up with your presence, in body and in spirit. Let the Light of Jesus shine and send us into our own worlds, in this place, to the people you give to us each and every day, to Point to Jesus. To proclaim Jesus. May I always listen to you… as Billy comes out to play… today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Amen

Perhaps, you too, wish to join me, this day and every day… to go out and play with Jesus and all who are his.

I leave you with this YouTube Video “Give Me Jesus” --- Fernando Ortega

Enjoy... and God Bless...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rZ8k9m2hwo

No comments: