Saturday, September 12, 2026

Mercy Hug! - Matthew 18:21-35 - Sixteenth Week after Pentecost

 


Matthew 18:21-35 NIV

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

Mercy Hug!

Can you measure forgiveness? Does it have a number? What is forgiveness? When does forgiveness run out? Who decides the beginning and end of forgiveness? Is my ability to forgive someone else, power that I hold over and above that other person? Is the forgiveness I ask for, something I can control? How many times should I forgive someone? Are there some sins that are just beyond forgiveness?

This gets tough, at least in my mind. Jesus seems to be saying that forgiveness can’t be counted, or that it is infinite. Really! How can that be? It seems, to me, that there is a limit to some of this. But then when I’m the one in need of forgiveness, all things seem to change.

I go to God each and every night, think back on my day, pray and acknowledge before God all of those times, that I can see, where I need to be forgiven. And that doesn’t even count the times that I’m not aware of, as to how I have offended another person, and harmed them in some way that I don’t even recall? Well, for me, if there were a counter keeping track, well then, I’m in deep doo-doo! So, yea, for me, before God in prayer, please forgive me over and over and over and over…

So, here Peter wants a bit of a different clarification. How many times should we forgive someone who has offended us, or sinned against us? We want to limit that, after all! This can’t just go on and on. This behavior must STOP! STOP NOW!

And that cycles my thinking back to one of my initial questions… Do I hold the power over forgiveness? Is it mine to decide when, how, or even how many times to forgive? I like to think so, but when I turn forgiveness around, not so much.

My sin is so great, I could never repay God for all of it. So, now what do I do? If I look to justice, my sin brings death, or at a minimum, a prison sentence.

I can only go on with God’s mercy. Sure, I’m accountable before God. I can’t get away with, “The devil made me do it stuff, like Flip Wilson used to say, I think on the “Laugh-in” show of the 70s. Nope, maybe the devil talked me into it, however, I did do it! My sin is too much for me. I stand in the presence of God “guilty.” Therefore, on my own, the Kingdom of God is out of reach for me.

Yet, as I stand in the presence of God, He gives me His grace and love, and forgives me. Why? I’m really not sure why, but I’m assured, through Jesus that I am forgiven. And in this grace is a life transformed, or free, to live anew IN the Kingdom of God. How? Certainly NOT by what I have done, BUT by what God does FOR, and TO, me.

I can’t settle the account of my sin, by extracting the payment from my brother, sister, mother, father, or neighbor, either. This is MY doing, and nothing from them can undo what I have done. So, turning to this world, this people, my family, or anything else to pay the debt that I owe God, is just false, and cruel to the people I love. This is all on me. Yes, I am a slave to my sin, and cannot free myself.

To many this “Slave to sin and cannot free myself,” will sound familiar. This is part of the weekly corporate confession before God, and all God’s people, each Sunday. To admit this IS very important. If we don’t admit, confess, or even announce our weakness to sin before God, and one another, we just may think that we can, with our own efforts be validated before God and receive His grace, because of things we have done. It doesn’t work that way. I could never do enough to earn my salvation, no prayer, no good work, no confession, no anything that I do, earns me the ticket into the Kingdom of God. NOTHING that I do!

I need God to jump in to all of this FOR me!

So, I see how cruel it would be for me to play God with someone who has sinned against me to collect, in my favor, the payment my neighbor owes me for his sins against me. That’s just silly pride, silly ego, and just plain silly, for me to hold someone else’s sin over their heads, when my sin is before God, in His presence.

But look what God did with my sin! When I fall at His feet, He forgives me! Wow!

So, I see, as God forgave me my great debt of sin, I too must forgive my neighbor who sins against me. That’s my response to God’s grace! My response is to freely, and willingly, forgive the debts of others who sin against me. And do it joyfully! Why? Well, look at what God has done for me, or you, or anyone else! Forgive one another, people!

If not! Then be willing to stand and account for your sinfulness, on your own, and receive what you really deserve before God. This parable ends with the reality of death, in the face of God, if you think you can be saved on your own, through your own actions. You CAN’T! Harsh, but honest, words from Jesus, to draw us in love, to, and for, one another, as we live together in this sinful, evil, world, in our sinful, evil, lives.

A tough message that is FILLED with the Grace of God!

Look at Matthew 18:35 once again….

“That is how My heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”

What is the “THAT” here? It’s the anger of God! So, take heed, forgive one another over and over and over and over again… again and again and again and again!

Remember?

“Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.”

What does this mean? (Luther’s Explanation)

We ask in this prayer that our Father in heaven would not hold our sins against us, and because of them, refuse to hear our prayer, and we pray that He would give us everything by Grace, for we sin every day, and deserve nothing but punishment. So, we, on our part will heartily forgive, and gladly do good, to those who sin against us.

Mull over that a while. Reread the passage and the parable from Matthew. Let it sink in…

Lord, let me NOT assume that I stand in Your place, regarding forgiveness. I see my sin, I see my neighbor’s sin, yet I see how You forgive. I see how you teach me in prayer to forgive, AS I TOO, have been forgiven. Let me never turn from this, or even turn this AGAINST my neighbor.  I ask that You would NOT hold my sin against me, but rather be gracious to me, for I see and know my sin every day. And likewise respond to Your gracious forgiveness, TO forgive those who sin against me. Over and over and over again…

Father, I rejoice in Your compassion and grace, especially in the face of my sinful self. Give me a heart of compassion and grace towards all those who sin, and have sinned against me. Why do I ask this? So that together with You, in Your glorious Kingdom, we may have fellowship and love, with one another.

Lord, lead me and guide me away from standing in self-righteous judgment, over my brother or sister in this world. Teach me to be compassionate, and graceful, and forgiving. We’re all in the same boat, as the expression goes; and we need you to forgive us daily from sin.

What to make of this week’s study of this passage? First, I think of the humility as discussed in recent past posts. I’m humbled in the presence of God, and I’m also humbled in the presence of my neighbor. I can’t “Lord” anything over anyone else. I may have committed different sins than my neighbor has, but they aren’t any different in the long run. Both myself and my neighbor fall to sin. So, in the presence of God, WE NEED, forgiveness. Forgiveness over and over and over again.

I’m thankful, when God or neighbor point out my sinfulness. I don’t like it. Who would? But I need just that. I need God AND neighbor to spin me around and show me my sin. That’s NOT easy stuff. It seems harder to take in, when my neighbor points out my sin. Pride gets in my way. But somehow, someway, I must depend on God to humble me in the presence of my family, neighbor, brother, sister, whomever, to fall at their feet and seek forgiveness. And that’s NOT the confession part. That’s the realization part that I NEED help!

The Confession part comes when I, in the presence of God, or neighbor, turn for help. I confess that I NEED help! I confess that, in my sin, I’m a lost and condemned person. I confess that my sin, and the destruction it has caused, is BEYOND my own fixing. I confess that I NEED a Savior.

And that’s where, I am so, so, glad that Jesus comes to me and offers His mercy, His love, His forgiveness. How can I not be drawn to Jesus’ own words from the cross…

Luke 23:34 NIV

34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

That says it all. I don’t realize the impact of my sin. Yet, as Jesus was on that cross, He forgave us. Kind of hard to understand. And that’s the love of God, prepared for all mankind, BEFORE the creation. Fireworks explode and my mind is blown!

So, as I see how God has chosen to forgive me, I TOO, shall follow in that forgiveness for my neighbor. It’s hard stuff here. It’s hard to do, in the presence of my sinful hatred, my BIG false ego, my greed, and need for power, over and above the other. Yep, even in the presence of my neighbor’s request for my forgiveness, for a sin that he committed against me… I AM HUMBLED! And in that humility, God calls me to forgive… over and over and over again. May I heed that call, and be obedient to God, in the presence of my neighbor, AND, FORGIVE… today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Thanks be to God for His forgiveness, grace, and mercy!

I was led to confession this week --- May this piece of music inspire you… “Forgive Me, Lord, for I Have Sinned”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiYb5PMEijU&list=RDBiYb5PMEijU&start_radio=1

No comments: