Friday, June 20, 2014

June 20th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 69:7-18
It is for your sake that I have borne reproach,
   that shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my kindred,
   an alien to my mother’s children.

It is zeal for your house that has consumed me;
   the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.
When I humbled my soul with fasting,
   they insulted me for doing so.
When I made sackcloth my clothing,
   I became a byword to them.
I am the subject of gossip for those who sit in the gate,
   and the drunkards make songs about me.

But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
   At an acceptable time, O God,
   in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me.
With your faithful help rescue me
   from sinking in the mire;
let me be delivered from my enemies
   and from the deep waters.
Do not let the flood sweep over me,
   or the deep swallow me up,
   or the Pit close its mouth over me.

Answer me, O Lord, for your steadfast love is good;
   according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.
Do not hide your face from your servant,
   for I am in distress—make haste to answer me.
Draw near to me, redeem me,

   set me free because of my enemies.

Reflection
How we cry out in pain and plea for God to rescue us. How we cry out to God for freedom from addiction. How we cry out to God for escape from poverty. We cry out to God in the midst of death.

And sometimes all we hear is silence in return. We wonder if God even cares. We try our best to do God's will and think that God will come to our side when we need him the most but sometimes all we get is silence. Where are you Lord? I need your help!

Father, don't let these horrible things happen to me. People make fun of me for having faith in you while they see me suffer from one calamity or another. People who live in comfort and pleasure laugh at my faith in you, O Lord. I need your help!

There are these times in life and we must face into these times with faith and hope. But we only receive our faith and our hope from God... but God seems to be absent and not paying any attention to our needs.

Then I think of the people of Jesus day and time on this earth. How they longed for a Savior a midst the evils of the day. How the persecution of the Romans ruled the lives of so many people and made life miserable. How long, Lord, they must have thought! How long until you send the Savior? And then Jesus arrived.

We live today with the knowledge of Jesus' life on earth. His coming, living, ministry, healing, suffering, death and resurrection. Today we can turn to the pages of the Gospels and read accounts of God's presence even when the people thought they had been abandoned. We can further read in the epistles how God was active in the Church and called people and enlightened them and gifted them and sent them to proclaim God's presence and love for all the people of this world.

Yes, we live today in the Light of Christ. We can rest assured in the faith and hope that we need to pull us through those dark times when we just can't hear or see or sense God's presence in our lives. We can rest assured in the faith and hope that God is present and always with us, even when we can't see or hear God.

When we feel abandoned, God is still there. Stop and be with God. Let it go and complain. Cry out as the psalmist cried and let God hear your complaint. It's OK. God is bigger than anything we could say. And God will sometimes listen and not answer... but that doesn't mean that God is gone. We know that God has shown us salvation in Jesus and that no matter how much we suffer and are rejected and pushed aside, God has a resurrection in mind for us. God has an eternal life planned and ready for us. God will take away the tears and the mourning and the suffering. God saved us from all of this with his son in Jesus.

So, let's just pause. Let's just listen. Let's just read and reflect on the Scriptures and wait. For the results are already assured. Thanks be to God!

And then... and then... at the right time God will send us... and we will go in the strength of the almighty.

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQzT2upcrY

Prayer
Lord, I'm so glad I can come to you and unload. I'm glad you listen. Help me learn the waiting and then assist me when it's time to get up and go. I look to you and know you are here... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: