Sunday, June 29, 2014

June 29th Reflection by Bill Lynch

Matthew 10:40-42
 ‘Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.’

Reflection
We had work hard to prepare for this party. My wife and I had spent endless hours selecting the food, the drink, the decorations, the wine and all that went along with holding a formal gathering of close friends and family. We just wanted to get together in a special way to show our appreciation and love for all of the blessings we have in life, especially our friends and family.

The house was perfect and clean as clean could be. The evening was early and our friends began to arrive. The women in their finest dress and the men wearing suits and ties. This was meant to be a formal gathering with all of us looking our best. Only the best would do.

As the guests arrived at our door both my wife and I extended the warmest of welcomes to each friend and family member. With kisses, handshakes and hugs we personally and lovingly greeted each and every guest in the sincerest of manners. Yes, it was true; each person was a true blessing in our lives. Each and every person was top notch in the depths of our hearts.

The conversation was lively and the laughter was plentiful. Then a couple of hours after the party had started and really settled in we heard the door bell ring. I looked at my wife and she glanced at me. Hadn't all of the welcomes been extended? Weren't all of the guests here? Even the guests seemed to know that everyone invited was here. As my wife went to the door and I followed close behind, the curiosity of the guests was so peaked that even they advanced to the door to see just who else we invited.

As we opened the door, standing in front of us was a man. He was in awful condition. Blood was running down his face. His hands and feet were both bloody along with a putrid, slimy, discharge coming from his side. He was dressed in nothing more than what appeared to be a diaper of some sorts. You could tell that he had been sweating all day and you could smell him as soon as the door opened. This man was an awful sight! Yet, he came to our door expecting to be welcomed. He even said to us, "Won't you welcome me also with a hug and a handshake and the love from the depths of your heart?"

We were speechless! By this time all of the guests had come to our open front door and were staring in disbelief at what they could only see with their eyes. Yet, this man also asked, "Won't you welcome even those like me into your home? Won't you all come outside this clean, safe place of yours and follow me? Will you stay awhile with all those I love as well as those you love. Spend some time with the sick, the poor, the dying, the suffering, the homeless, the addicted, the mentally ill? Would you dare to give up all of what you have there behind this door and in your house to feel the pain yet feel the love of those in need? If so, then come out of that house. Yes come out and follow me. I will show you how to welcome any and all people that God loves. I will show you how to extend a proper welcome."

As he turned to walk away from our front door, he turned back and said to all of us standing there, "Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."


Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YqHGFtnMOI

Prayer
Lord, open my eyes as I follow you this day to welcome any and all the people you give to me. Show me how to love as you love and care as you care. Grant me the compassion and strength to serve you even in the toughest of times. Build my faith that I may be a source of welcome that all may see your glory and come to believe in the gracious gift you suffered to pay for all the people... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: