Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Isaiah 45:1-7
Thus says the Lord to his anointed, to Cyrus,
   whose right hand I have grasped
to subdue nations before him
   and strip kings of their robes,
to open doors before him—
   and the gates shall not be closed:
I will go before you
   and level the mountains,
I will break in pieces the doors of bronze
   and cut through the bars of iron,
I will give you the treasures of darkness
   and riches hidden in secret places,
so that you may know that it is I, the Lord,
   the God of Israel, who call you by your name.
For the sake of my servant Jacob,
   and Israel my chosen,
I call you by your name,
   I surname you, though you do not know me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other;
   besides me there is no god.
   I arm you, though you do not know me,
so that they may know, from the rising of the sun
   and from the west, that there is no one besides me;
   I am the Lord, and there is no other.
I form light and create darkness,
   I make weal and create woe;
   I the Lord do all these things.

Reflection
The Israelites are now coming out of Babylonian rule and God has decided to empower Cyrus to set the Chosen People free. They will be free to once again call upon the name of God from their home in Jerusalem.

This is an example of the power of God. God calling and using a ruler and an earthly kingdom to save God's people, even though that ruler and that kingdom don't even know God. Will the ruler and some in the kingdom come to know God by God's action in their lives? Perhaps... I don't know.

It is assuring to know that God cares for those he has chosen and even those who have yet come to believe to call them and to gather them into his loving care. This is the love of God. The God that created all that exists and gives all things life. A God of grace and love and action. A God for all the people.

Yes... it's true of our God...

"I am the Lord, and there is no other;
   besides me there is no god.
   I arm you, though you do not know me,
so that they may know, from the rising of the sun
   and from the west, that there is no one besides me;
   I am the Lord, and there is no other."

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scxkUPlCk4

Prayer
One and only God; you come into my life and call me and direct my way. You are the only God of all things. I worship and adore you and sing praise to you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: