Wednesday, December 24, 2014

December 24th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Luke 2:1-14
In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered. Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.
 In that region there were shepherds living in the fields, keeping watch over their flock by night. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, who is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign for you: you will find a child wrapped in bands of cloth and lying in a manger.’ And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying,
‘Glory to God in the highest heaven,
   and on earth peace among those whom he favours!’

Reflection
Last night my grand-daughter Kaiya was in bed with me watching a movie I had recorded, "The Nativity." Of course, I fell asleep but when I woke up I kicked my knee up into the air and my knee blocked Kaiya's view of the TV. She immediately yelled, "Peepaw! Put you knee down! I want to see Jesus!" I looked at the TV and the scene was just at the moment of Jesus birth and Kaiya didn't want to miss seeing Jesus.

What Kaiya said to me reminded me of what a church friend of mine, Herb Neve, said one time in response to a question that I had asked all of the Saturday Morning Men's Group about what would be the first request they might have when they were in heaven. Herb loudly and boldly stated... "I want to see Jesus!"

So as I reflect on the passage of Scripture above, I come to the same conclusion... "I want to see Jesus!" I imagine that the shepherds may have had the same words upon their lips as well... "I want to see Jesus!" And that they did! Was this Jesus, this Savior, this Messiah all that they expected to see? I don't know. But when the angels come and praise God in your face and in your heart; I'm sure it lends credence that this Jesus came into this world just as God had planned. In a manger and to some of the poorest people around. Yes... Jesus came homeless and poor. Jesus came to those just like you and me and Kaiya and Herb. Jesus came into this world for all the people that "Want to see Jesus."

So clear the way... take a look... it's not only me... it's not only Kaiya... it's not only Herb... there are so many more... that want to see Jesus. For Jesus has come to you and to me and to all the world. Jesus has come so that all may see the Savior... this evening... this night.... and in this time and this place.

Come, Lord Jesus, Come... "I want to see Jesus!"

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4h_A815YYg&feature=youtu.be
Video of Kaiya getting to take the Baby Jesus up to the altar to place in the manger on Christmas Eve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExXItDyWEY
Becky Kelley - Where's the Line to See Jesus

Prayer
Lord, you have made yourself present to all and for all to see. Come into the lives of all your people and show us your will and your way for us in this time and this place. Yes, Lord, I want to see Jesus!... today... tomorrow... and forever .--- Amen

No comments: