Sunday, December 07, 2014

December 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Mark 1:1-8
The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

 As it is written in the prophet Isaiah,
‘See, I am sending my messenger ahead of you,
   who will prepare your way;
the voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
   “Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight” ’,
John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And people from the whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him, and were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, ‘The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.’

Reflection
Sending a messenger ahead... It's hard for me to imagine that 25 years ago today almost to this same time, my brother, Jim, and I sat with Dad and watched him die. It's more like everything just slowed down and stopped. But, in another sense, I had the feeling that even though the body stopped there was something great and new and a continuation happening all at the same time. Something that Dad tried when still active days earlier, I think to describe through hand signals and blinking eyes and motions but still something that I don't think any of us would be able to imagine or place into word.

Dad had always been the messenger sent ahead for my life. He was an example of how to live, how to work, how to change, how to give of yourself to those in need. He was a messenger sent ahead for me any way I look at it.

So, 25 years have passed? Sometimes that seems like a long time and sometimes it seems like yesterday. Years pass but his presence has always remained in my mind and in my heart. I have thought so many times about lessons and skills he graciously gave me to use as I live my life in this here and now.

John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness. And people came to the wilderness to hear what John had to say. John lived the life of one from the wilderness as well. John didn't try to be anything that God didn't want John to be. John was John to the core. And John knew that he was a messenger. A messenger with a purpose and truth to tell.

Through the power of God, John brought people to realize repentance and forgiveness and the washing of the water of baptism in their lives. John brought people to prepare to hear the message... even more to live the message... even to follow the message and see God's coming.

John was the messenger to something that we can't fully understand, we can't full believe, we can't fully put into words. John was the messenger that did the best he could with God acting through and in him to point to what I don't think any of us would be able to imagine or place into word.

Sounds kind of like what my dad was trying to blink, motion, tell to me and my brother and all the world 25 years ago.

God IS coming. God IS coming to you. God will knock your socks off with what is in store next!

"He proclaimed, ‘The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the thong of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.’"

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_OB7d-B1Vw

Prayer
Lord, use me to proclaim what I can't explain or put into words, that all may come to you and see your grace and your glory. I point to you as your messenger... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: