Monday, January 05, 2015

January 5th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Genesis 1:1-5
In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, ‘Let there be light’; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.

Reflection
Something out of nothing. A formless void. Try to picture a formless void, something without contents and empty and at the same time formless. I can't even grasp it in my own mind. On top of it all this formless void was darkness. And then God sends a wind to sweep over the face of the waters and gives this formless void light.

There is something to this wind and light that is special. Both come from God and the wind sweeps over the waters and the light separates itself from the darkness that brings a contrast between dark and light, morning and evening.

How can I not help to think of my baptism. In the formless void of the dark waters of my baptism; God brings forth something new. Something newly created that involve God's Word, water, and as I rise out of the waters of baptism, new light and new life. And in this rising from the darkness of the water is my first day. Your first day. The first day of life having been reborn out of the darkness. I rise all wet and with the new life only God can give. The first day...

And in this passage comes to mind baptism, water, and God the Creator, God the Light of the world in Jesus and God the Holy Spirit in the wind; all coming together to create a new life in the baptism of individuals and the baptism of this world and all that exists.

Listen...

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q_FTRNTDbU
Born Again by Third Day

Prayer
Lord, as I rise this day, may I recall my baptism and the life you so freely give to me to be in your presence. May I feel the Light of your grace as I rise from death to new life in you and may this be the first day of new life serving you and those you give to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: