Wednesday, January 07, 2015

January 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 29
A Psalm of David.

Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings,
   ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory of his name;
   worship the Lord in holy splendour.

The voice of the Lord is over the waters;
   the God of glory thunders,
   the Lord, over mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is powerful;
   the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.

The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;
   the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,
   and Sirion like a young wild ox.

The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
   the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.

The voice of the Lord causes the oaks to whirl,
   and strips the forest bare;
   and in his temple all say, ‘Glory!’

The Lord sits enthroned over the flood;
   the Lord sits enthroned as king for ever.
May the Lord give strength to his people!
   May the Lord bless his people with peace!

Reflection
The voice of the Lord... How do I hear the voice of the Lord? Have I ever heard the voice of the Lord? When have I heard the voice of the Lord?

The psalmist speaks often about the voice of the Lord. Even part of this entire blog-site is based upon... How do you hear God speaking to you? How do you hear the voice of the Lord?

The voice of the Lord has spoken to me in the words of Scripture. Perhaps more clearly the Word of Scripture. The Word made flesh. I hear the voice of the Lord speak to me in the sacraments of Baptism and Communion. I hear the voice of the Lord speak to me in the words of so many people in congregations and churches where God is present through the Pastors, the Lay people, and in so many and various ways. I hear the voice of the Lord speak to me in plays, in puppets, in music, in the reading of scripture, in the homeless, in the prisoners I meet, in those people who are the lowliest of society the voice of the Lord speaks to me. I hear the voice of the Lord speak to me in the quiet and contemplative moments alone in nature. I hear the voice of the Lord speak to me in the mighty winds and in thunder and the roar of the ocean.

How many ways do you hear the voice of the Lord?

But it there seems to need to be a time to stop it all. To stop it all and reflect on the voice of the Lord and to listen carefully to the message God has graciously given to each of us and uniquely given to each of us in the voice of the Lord. We must pause and ponder and reflect and hear the calling, the direction, the instruction and the action or no action that God wants us to heed.

Yes, even at the baptism of Jesus, we hear the voice of the Lord call out to all the people. A voice that stops us in our tracks and a voice that calls us to stop and listen.

Yes Lord! Jesus is your Son! Yes Lord! Jesus is your Chosen! Yes Lord! Jesus is our Savior!

As I hear your voice oh Lord... hear my voice of praise and thanksgiving.

The voice of the Lord. Stop... look... listen... hear and understand what it is God is causing you to see... deep within.

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsvqVmFV6Y
Voice Of Truth - Casting Crowns

Prayer
Lord, give me pause to hear your voice and heed your call and do your will... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: