Monday, July 04, 2016

???


Luke 10:25-37

25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he said, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? What do you read there?" 27 He answered, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself." 28 And he said to him, "You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live." 29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" 30 Jesus replied, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, "Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.' 36 Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" 37 He said, "The one who showed him mercy." Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Reflection

"Questions... questions... questions." I can hear my high school Chemistry teacher, Mr. Goldsmith, say that even now. It seems the above passage is full of questions. Questions from the lawyer answered by questions by Jesus and then a parable ending with a question.

"What must I do...?" It seems that it all begins with something to do to achieve something else. Something that we think we can do... but can we really do it properly? Do we really love God with all of our heart, soul and strength? Do we really love our neighbor? Be honest with yourself. Be honest with God. I know that I want to... but... I don't. I don't always love God... and I certainly don't always and sometimes never love my neighbor.

So... now what? Another question. Questions... questions... questions. Jesus tells me a story and from my perspective it all gets worse. Would I really help this guy? Would I pass by? Well... maybe sometimes... maybe not.

So... now what? What would Jesus do? WWJD...

So... up to this point... I'm a miserable failure at this whole eternal life thing!

So... I go back to the story. It seems like the Samaritan is like Jesus to me. Now that thought in itself would be a horrible thought to bring up in Jesus' time. The audience were Jews... they hated the Samaritans. Jesus was a Jew. How dare Jesus take on the skin of a Samaritan... even in a story? So... I think my thought of the Samaritan like Jesus would have gotten me thrown over the cliff and stoned to death.

But... here I am today and I don't think I'm going to be stoned for my thought. You see, the Samaritan had the compassion and mercy of Jesus. The Samaritan rescued the fallen man from death and paid for his care. The Samaritan saved the fallen man.

So... maybe it's just like Jesus did for me, a fallen man. Jesus had compassion on me and mercy on me and paid the price for me to save me.

Yes I fail the test, but Jesus saved me anyway. It wasn't about me doing all of the right things and saying the right things; it was about Jesus having compassion on me and mercy on me and saving me.

Questions... questions... questions. How do I respond? I go and have compassion and mercy on all of God's people... that's ALL people. Because... sometimes I think that when I look into the eyes of the one on the side of the road... I may be looking into the eyes of Jesus. Jesus who suffered and died for me and for all people who lie on the side of the road and all people who pass by and those who, like Jesus have compassion and mercy.

I don't worry about when I fail but I certainly tell about how Jesus has had compassion and mercy on me and saved me!

Thanks be to God!

Music


Prayer

Lord, forgive my failure to follow your commands and lead me to follow you. Show me the way to have compassion, mercy and a giving heart to all people and all creations. Correct my steps along the way and teach me to do your will. Today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: