Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Think before you Click

Matthew 21:23-32

23 When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him as he was teaching, and said, "By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?" 24 Jesus said to them, "I will also ask you one question; if you tell me the answer, then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25 Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?" And they argued with one another, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will say to us, 'Why then did you not believe him?' 26 But if we say, 'Of human origin,' we are afraid of the crowd; for all regard John as a prophet." 27 So they answered Jesus, "We do not know." And he said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.

28 "What do you think? A man had two sons; he went to the first and said, 'Son, go and work in the vineyard today.' 29 He answered, 'I will not'; but later he changed his mind and went. 30 The father went to the second and said the same; and he answered, 'I go, sir'; but he did not go. 31 Which of the two did the will of his father?" They said, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32 For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him; and even after you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe him.

Reflection

It's like I tell my grandson, and remind myself so many times; think before you act. How many times do I not take my own advice. How many times have I said something or texted something or posted something in a case where I did not think before I acted? How many times have I not considered another point of view? How many times have I not thought of the other person and how they would take my comment? How many times have I acted, only to find out that my actions did not help but rather hurt. I really don't think I'm alone in this sin. I think this sin is one of those sins, that, if we all paused to reflect upon, would find ourselves guilty. This sin is one of those sins where we come together and before God to confess and seek forgiveness.

This passage makes me think of how we can be so political in our actions. We want to get the angle or some behind the scene purpose of a question and carefully craft an answer that will keep us out of trouble or lead the outcome to some outcome that we desire. Politics plays into so many things these days, that we are suspect of spin all of the time.

Jesus! Of course John was sent from God to proclaim the way. Of course, I want to be the person that does the will of God. Sure, I may pause to think about it and seek to know what God's will and call for myself in this life consists of and follow that will. But... my sinful self holds back. I want to answer yes and run the other way. I want to sound good and Christian, but my weak backbone chickens out and I pause or delay or procrastinate myself into total inaction.

This passage of scripture points out the difference between actions and words. John acted on God's will and way in his life. John went and proclaimed and baptized. John may have questioned God at some point, I don't know. But I do know that God acted on God's will in his life. John respected God's authority in life and went and did what he was told. Did John do it all perfectly? I suspect not. But God has a way of using our imperfections to God's glory and to God's plan.

John wasn't about tricky questions but about action. The chief priests and elders seemed to try to trick with words but Jesus responded with action. Jesus responded in his life, ministry, word, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection. Thanks be to God that Jesus was sent for action to save all of us from sin, death and the devil not with political stunts, spin and deception.

May my life and your life and the lives of all God's people be a faithful response to what God has planned for each and all of us. May we think through the love we have been given, one for another, before we respond. May we all be sure to respond to the greatest gift of all through Jesus, our Savior.

Prayer

Lord teach me your will and your way. Teach me to think before I respond. Teach me to love the other. When I fail... forgive me... correct me... send me into this world to do your will in my life... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: