Saturday, December 17, 2022

Respond

 




Matthew 1:18-25 https://www.bible.com/bible/59/MAT.1.18-25.ESV --- read it! 

Joseph was a fine man, but as I read this passage of scripture, I realize it’s not really about Joseph. The passage seems to be a little bit about Mary, but not all that much either. The center of this passage, for me, is the action of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is active on Mary and on Joseph and on me as well today.

There are a few other readings for this 4th Sunday in Advent that point my thinking in this direction. 

Isaiah 7:10-17 helps me to see the Messiah or in the Gospel passage, the One to be named Jesus; as a sign from God. A sign for me to see and to recognize and to ponder and gaze to.

Psalm 24 caused me to cry with the psalmist, “May the King of glory come!” May the Messiah come to me this day, tomorrow and every day, to hear my confession, forgive me and send me out into this world to work his will in his way.

Also Romans 1:1-7 permits me to see Jesus declared to be the Son of God through whom we receive grace and love.

If you have time, read the above passages and jot down a note or two of what you hear God speak to you.

So, anyway… back to Matthew 1:18-25… my notes and reactions

• God is with us

• He will save his people

• Jesus is the Eternal Word

• Mary/Joseph are obedient to God

• God is now present in a new way

• God’s presence is with men now --- not in the Temple

• Joseph is “just” – he observes the Jewish Law

• Joseph could expose Mary or divorce Mary to save his own image with the people he lives around 

• Mary and Joseph were quick to heed the call of the moment

My take? What do I hear God saying to me?

There are times in my life that God has chosen to radically change me and the world that I live in today. There are times that God speaks through the mouth of other people and the actions of people that God places in my life. I have dreams and thoughts that perhaps angels have placed in my mind and my soul. 

Here, in the Gospel message, there is witness to the action of Mary and Joseph. Actions that the Holy Spirit has infused their lives with and the Spirit has invaded their souls with. I, like Mary and Joseph need to listen carefully, prayerfully respond to in times in haste, to be quick to notice the call of the moment and respond to God and to change my actions, my ways and my path. Respond to the unknown, knowing that God has granted me grace to live out new and changed ways of living in the sure, hope and trust that God’s plan is way beyond me and my own world.

God draws each of us out of ourselves and invites us in to live, even in our sinfulness, in the grace and freedom of the forgiveness of sin, so that God can accomplish something new and revealing about God. New to me, to you and to the world in which we live, but sure in the revelation of the fulfillment that God has planned for his people.

So, yes, respond to that call when you hear it, like Mary and Joseph, knowing that God’s action in you, and in this world is what the call is really about. Say yes, and do what you least expected you would do, in the trust and hope and knowledge that God’s will and call in your life will bring glory to God.

Amen! Come, Lord Jesus, come… to me… to this world… to all called through you… today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Amen

No comments: