Friday, December 30, 2022

The Innocent

 


The reading reflection for this week is Matthew 2:13-23 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%202%3A13-23&version=ESV

This is so sad a passage of scripture. It makes me pause and think. Death was the threat and death was carried out in such fierce crude fashion that the evil of this world seems to be predominate in this passage. 

But on second look, I hear the words of angelic voices from God sending Joseph, Mary and Jesus into Egypt, protecting Jesus for a later act of love that would overthrow and deny all power of the evil forces of, not only this world, but the spiritual world as well. There is a resurrection story in this passage as well as the demonic, evil story of Herod killing innocent children.

Egypt seems to bring forth a mystery in time. When I look to the powers of the pharaohs and the building of magnificent pyramids, there seems to be an intriguing wonder, a mystery. The very stories of the plagues and the acts of God along with the acts of the magicians of Egypt in duplicating the early plagues brings to mind mysteries.

There are even some early stories that Jesus went to Egypt to learn the trade of a magician.  A magician that could re-enact the miracles out of Egypt. I'm not sure of the age of Jesus at this time in Egypt, but this information seems to be a stretch for me to buy into. 

Anyway, from this passage, I hear angelic direction. When to go... where to go... when to return... where to return. All leading to a spiritual component in the life of Jesus and his family. And making me recall a sort of reverse story of a journey into and out of Egypt by Joseph and Moses.

I see a merciful God in that Jesus and family are saved from the present evil of Herod killing the babies in the suspected region of Jesus birth. Perhaps 20 to 25 children were killed just because a ruler had a fear that his power and prestige would be surpassed by an up and coming king. How egotistical and selfish!

But then I'm troubled that the Messiah and the spiritual powers of God would protect Jesus at the expense of the lives of babies in Israel. I can't imagine the cry of the mothers who lost their babies in Ramah. What is that about?

Isn't there a better way?

I can try to find some comfort in the idea that God sent Jesus on a mission that surpassed the lives of babies to bring salvation to all people. That God would fill the hearts with his Spirit and bring forth a resurrection story for Jew, and Gentile. That Jesus was sent to redeem those under the law to be adopted into God's family. But it all seems, for me, to be a rationalization of a horrible event that God permitted to take place in time and history, for a purpose that is beyond my human understanding.

So, I cry out to God... Why? Why is this world full of evil that you permit to happen? Why is there this struggle here in my time and place of war, hunger, poverty and death that you, God, permit to take place. Why? Why don't you take all of this away, and take it all away now?

And then I stop. I stop and think on my sin. I think on the Law and realize that I don't deserve salvation. What you created was perfect. What you created was paradise. You, God, didn't ruin it all. I did!

How many people have I killed in my heart? How many have I judged useless and good for the trash heap? How many people have I left hungry as I gorged myself in food and lavish living? How have I ignored the plight of my neighbor and refused to act to help? Should I go on?  I deserve to die a more cruel death than those innocent babies. I deserve death for the actions and the inactions of my life. You, God, didn't make me to be this way. I did all this on my own!

Yet, God, through the spiritual message of angels, saved the One who could make it all right. God saved Jesus not to teach him some cheap magician tricks in Egypt. God saved Jesus from death at that moment in history, in order that Jesus may complete God's saving act of saving me all the people of his perfect creation from sin, the devil, evil and death by taking our place. Jesus would take on the punishment that I deserve for my own sin, my sin, not Jesus' sin, but my sin! Jesus would take on my sin and die for me, and he died for you as well, that the death of those innocent babies would not be the final act of evil in their lives. Jesus death would be the final act of the death of the traps set by sin. And to show us what is to come for me and for you. Jesus arose from death to life everlasting, for you, for me, and for those babies, for whom we cry out for in Ramah.

Lord, I look to you. During this Christmas Season you have taken on flesh. You have blood pulsing through your veins of everlasting life that was dead, and now is alive. May your blood feed us and sustain us with everlasting life as we live to proclaim your power and glory to a world in sin, that your people may come to believe that you graciously give life eternal. Life beyond any act of evil rulers or the evil powers of the devil in this world and the spiritual realm so hard to fathom. Thank you for coming into our lives and saving us... today... tomorrow... and forever! Amen!!!

No comments: