Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Doubt in Dirty Flesh - Matthew 28:16-20 - Holy Trinity Sunday

 


Matthew 28:16-20 (ESV)

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.  And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”


Oh boy! Doubt! How much I doubt! Doubt can haunt my soul. But I still doubt. 


This passage of scripture gives: 

direction... to the mountain... 

worship and doubt... 

authority... 

the Triune God... 

and Jesus' eternal presence.


It's the doubt that trips me up. I doubt! Sin clouds my faith. Faith that God graciously gives to me, not faith from my own actions or mind. Sin clouds the faith God has given to me and makes my eyesight towards God dim. Was the resurrection really true? Did I really see Jesus? Enter... DOUBT. I think this same doubt was with the disciples in this passage as well. And if all of us are honest about it... We all doubt.


In doubt there is something good however. In doubt, I am acknowledging the God exists. In doubt, I have already seen God. The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is cynicism. When I doubt, I actually have turned towards God. When I turn towards God, I pray about my doubt and God lovingly looks towards me and gives me faith. It's not my faith. it's God's gift of faith to me that counts.


And then Jesus gives authority to the disciples throughout time. It's not WWJD... No! It's WWJHMD!

What Would Jesus Have Me Do

So, I pray in the midst of my doubt for God to lead and guide me each and every day. What is the will of God for me in this life God has given me today. Lord do what?


And then the disciples, into eternity, are sent to share the joy of Jesus with all the world! In the daily goings of life share your joy of Jesus with all the people God gives to you. As you are going through this life, in this world of sin and death, go and baptize and teach the joy of Jesus.


We move beyond the Stone Tablets of the Law, to the Law made flesh and fulfilled in Jesus. The Holy Spirit moves us to give God's gift of Baptism, to Teach God's gift of Grace in the living flesh of Jesus, our new Law.


God gathers the disciples, new, old, and yet to be, in the power of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Advocate. God gathers people in the Baptism of intimate love in the Triune God. God comes to us, despite our doubt and sin, to give us this baptism of life in him.


And... Jesus is always present. Jesus is here, and with us... Living... not dead... Forever and Always.


Lord Jesus, as I go... Lead and guide me to the people you give to me in this place and in this time to share the Joy of you... the Joy of the Trinity in Baptism and Word... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen!

No comments: