Monday, June 12, 2023

Matthew 9:9-13 - Second Sunday after Pentecost - "In the Midst of Life"

 Matthew 9:9-13 English Standard Version

As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” But when he heard it, he said, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

In the midst of life I look back and reflect on Sunday's Gospel. Sometimes it gets busy. Even at this moment as I come out of the fog of a couple of medical procedures, I realize, life gets complicated. It's the same way for most all of us. Life can get complicated, yet, as I reflect back on my past week's study of this passage, I can hear the voice of Jesus.

I take time each week to look ahead to the Gospel of the next Sunday. I read the Gospel each day and research, just a little bit, from Bible resources and commentaries. I listen to the Word spoken from the pulpit, from the pastor on Sunday. What I reflect upon here in this Blog, is just my thoughts and what I pick up throughout the week, and sometimes what I hear on Sunday. It all depends on when I write this Blog. My intention is to write ahead of hearing the message from the pulpit. But, sometimes I just get caught in the "Midst of Life."

I love that Jesus got caught up with Matthew in this week's Gospel, "In the Midst of Life." Jesus joins us in the "Midst of Life." Pretty much every day Jesus joins in with me in my life, wherever I happen to be, to call me, direct me, and most importantly, to love me. So, I turn to face Jesus. I face Jesus as the sinner that I am and listen. I face Jesus to be loved by him and to love him in return. I face Jesus with my sinful friends as we feast at the table "In the Midst of Life."

Jesus loved Matthew, a despised sinner, and called Matthew. I can relate to this love, as I too, am a despised sinner. Jesus cleanses Matthew and myself from sin and loves us. He loves us, not because we are good. I'm not all that good. I loves us because we are sinners and need him.

Matthew and I live by faith. Faith that God freely gives. I can never presume that my faith can save me. It's not about my faith. Faith is given to me and to Matthew and through this gift of faith, Matthew and I, and all the sinners at the Table of Life, can trust God to lead and guide us. We don't walk alone in this life. As we are "In the Midst of Life," we need a guide. And Jesus is our Guide, calling us to follow him. 

Jesus seeks out me, Matthew, and the group of sinners that I walk "In the Midst of Life" by my side with.  

Jesus treats people as individuals. Jesus has the cure for my sinful wickedness. Jesus gives this cure as a healing gift. A gift, to me, Matthew, and my fellow sinners, "In the Midst of Life."

I know my unrighteousness and turn to face righteous Jesus, and live in him. I live being fully convinced that God is able to do all he promises. I live to listen to God teach me good judgment and knowledge. I listen to Jesus Word... and return to face God in my sinfulness with a steadfast love that I see Jesus show me in accepting my as the sinner I am, yet loving me to death and new life in him. Not by anything I have done. My sacrifices are worthless to God. It's only through the mercy of God's love for me, for Matthew, and for all sinners, "In the Midst of Life," that we may live.

Jesus wants mercy not sacrifice. So, I'm called by Jesus to love in mercy all those God gives to me in this space and this place of my life. I'm called through the love of Jesus to emulate that love to the sinners that I live with "In the Midst of Life." I'm called "In the Midst of my Life" and in the "Midst of the Life" of those I am with to sit at Table, and Love as Jesus loves all of us.

As Jesus joins, me, Matthew, and you, "In the Midst of Life;" we gather in love with one another and in the love of Jesus to live out our lives... here... now... in this space... in this time... together.

Lord, thank you for loving me and all the sinners of this world. May we all live out your mercy and love together, "In the Midst of Life," today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: