Saturday, March 09, 2024

Keep Me Near the Cross - John 3:14-21 - Fourth Sunday in Lent

 


John 3:14-21 ESV

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.

16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

Keep Me Near the Cross

As I studied this Gospel lesson this past week; at first, I took few or no notes at all. Every day, Monday through Thursday and even to Friday, not much. But then as I reflected on the depth of Jesus’ Word, my thoughts and emotions began to change. Something was happening to me. Something that I couldn’t put my finger on. Something was happening that felt wonderful. I began to see glimpses of Light and a glaring show of God’s Love for me. I began to see the Cross. I began to see Jesus.

As Jesus is lifted up on the cross, he is not just lifted up by man to put to death. No! Jesus is lifted up in praise to heaven. Jesus and the glory of God come through Jesus’ humiliation and death. God sent his Son in Jesus to die for my sin, for your sin, for the sin of the world.

We are not saved by our act of “looking” at Jesus on the cross. No! we are saved by what God did in and through Jesus on that cross. What?

Look! See!

Eternal life comes from the Love of God.

 Me? You?

Receive the gift of faith and believe. Believe in what?

Believe in the Source of Life.

Look at Jesus on the cross. For ALL the healing you will EVER need. Hear the voice of forgiveness from this crucified man, your Savior, your God. For on that cross is Love (with a capital L). On that cross see eternal Love. Keep looking! On that cross the darkness of sin gives way to eternal Light!

You and I are called from the cross of Christ to eternal life. Eternal life, not about length of life, No! Eternal life about putting on Christ.

What? What is that?

We are called from the cross of Christ to eternal life that begins here and now. Eternal life that begins in our imperfection. Eternal life as we are still in our sin. Eternal life, as we are; given to us by Jesus. Eternal life, our gift from God through Jesus, as what God does for the love of you, and for the love of me.

You, we, those, who believe will rise to newness of life. Newness of life, here and now.

Ponder this. Ponder the mystery of this Grace. Law and Judgment are suspended on that cross by Gospel and Forgiveness.

God’s Love baffles me, it stuns me, God’s Love dazes me. God’s Love is mysterious and unthinkable. God’s Love stabs my soul and pierces my heart.

As I see Jesus on that cross; I glimpse God. I glimpse Love, Salvation, Power, Honor, Sacrifice, Righteousness, and Forgiveness. All the nouns of Jesus, are on that cross before my eyes.

On that cross I see the broken heart of God. God’s heart was broken open because of my sin. God’s heart was broken as I turned from Him to myself. God’s heart was broken as I worshipped the things of this world and my own selfish desires to satisfy my lust, my gluttony, my theft, my addictions, my coveting, my desire to collect, power, prestige, and worldly possessions. Yes, on that cross, God’s heart was broken open because I did not love Him and Him alone.

You see, God doesn’t need you or me. No! God doesn’t want my works, my gifts, my sacrifice, my life, my will, my way, or my thought. No! God doesn’t need any of the things we bring to Him.

But God does, want you and me. He wants all of us. God wants us as His forever. God wants us to believe in nothing else but Him and Him alone! Look back on Jesus’ Words above. Look, and ponder. Read and re-read. Let Jesus’ Word sink in a while.

Don’t stumble over your own feet on your way to the cross. Look at that cross. This IS God!

1 John 4:19 ESV

19 We love because he first loved us.

Yes! As you look at Jesus on that cross; let God’s infection of Love spread through you, and give that infection, to all those God gives to you daily. Let the Love of God bring you to Believe in God and God alone. God’s Love means everything.

We don’t need to give our hearts to God. No! God does not need my heart or your heart. No! God takes our hearts as His own. God holds our heart. God owns our hearts. And I thank God for this!

How do I react to this? How will you react to this?

For me… As I meet Jesus at the cross… As I hear Jesus’ Word of forgiveness… As I see the defeat of sin on that cross.

I believe!!!

God’s purpose for sending Jesus to the cross?

God’s purpose was not condemnation of Man. But God’s purpose was to save Man. For God knows that Man cannot save himself. God’s purpose was, and is, salvation for all.

Our reaction to his revelation on that cross. This Light?

Will we dread it? Will we hide in the dark? Will we avoid the Light? Will we fear the exposure of our sinfulness? Or…

Will we welcome the Light? Will we see the cross? Will we see Grace? Will we turn and look? Will we believe?

Some will prefer the darkness of the world, to the Light of God. Some will prefer themselves and their own desires to the desires of God. Some will worship the world and mankind; some will give in to themselves. Some will choose NOT to believe. Some have made up their minds.

You? Me?

As for me…

God draws me to the Light. God draws me to the cross of Christ… today… tomorrow… and forever! I believe… I believe… I believe… Amen

As I studied this week, this hymn brought focus and comfort to me… enjoy…

Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross

God bless you this week as you attend worship to Hear the Word read, to hear the Word in sermon, and to see, feel and taste the Word in Sacrament.

 

No comments: