Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 10th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Transfiguration of Our Lord 
Luke 9:28-36 [37-43a] (NRSV)
Jesus is transfigured on the mountain 

Now about eight days after these sayings Jesus took with him Peter and John and James, and went up on the mountain to pray. And while he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly they saw two men, Moses and Elijah, talking to him. They appeared in glory and were speaking of his departure, which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. Now Peter and his companions were weighed down with sleep; but since they had stayed awake, they saw his glory and the two men who stood with him. Just as they were leaving him, Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah" -- not knowing what he said. While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were terrified as they entered the cloud. Then from the cloud came a voice that said, "This is my Son, my Chosen; listen to him!" When the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone. And they kept silent and in those days told no one any of the things they had seen.

( On the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. Just then a man from the crowd shouted, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son; he is my only child. Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and all at once he shrieks. It convulses him until he foams at the mouth; it mauls him and will scarcely leave him. I begged your disciples to cast it out, but they could not." Jesus answered, "You faithless and perverse generation, how much longer must I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here." While he was coming, the demon dashed him to the ground in convulsions. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, healed the boy, and gave him back to his father. And all were astounded at the greatness of God.)

Reflection
Boy oh boy, does this take me back! Takes me back perhaps a half century ago. That's hard to believe, at least for me. It seems like just yesterday in one sense. I was in Sidney Ohio at the time, on Washington Street. I couldn't have been but five or six, possibly four. I really don't remember my age. But I do remember a knock on that door at our house on Washington Street. I was having a dream of some sorts. Had I been to Sunday School where the teaching was on this passage? You know where you got this little piece of paper that Mrs. Elmo would fold up and put in your shirt pocket when it was time to go. Had I heard a piece of a sermon by Pastor Swinehart screaming from the pulpit on the Transfiguration? I really can't say. I was too young to remember much. But I wasn't too young to forget this dream.

I went to the door and answered the door. Standing at the door was Jesus, Moses, Elijah and some other guy that I didn't recognize. First off... how did I recognize Moses and most of all how did I recognize Elijah? I don't have a clue! I was too young to know who these guys were after all. But, somehow I recognized them in this dream. I could understand recognizing Jesus. I'm sure Mom had read and taught me so many stories about Jesus at home. I'm sure Dad probably read a book or two about Jesus to me and showed me some pictures. My parents were loving and religious and took their side of my baptism very seriously. I appreciate that so so much! At least there was one guy in the bunch I didn't recognize.

Then, in the dream, Jesus said, "Can Billy come out and play?" And, I did. I went out to play with Jesus, Moses, Elijah and another person who became my friend. That was it! I woke up! I haven't gotten this dream out of my head since. I didn't tell people about my dream for a long long time. I thought about it all of my life. I would look at those pictures of Jesus knocking on the door and wonder about them. But this was different. Jesus wasn't coming in... I was going out. Besides that their was a group of friends I was going out with. As I aged and read the stories of the Bible and went to church and Sunday School, Catechism, the passage above, along with passages of Jesus at the door, kept speaking to me.

I've come to some connection with the scripture for today. Right after the Transfiguration event, Jesus and his disciples went back into the world. Jesus went back and healed. The disciples followed Jesus out to do the work and mission planned for Jesus. Just like in the dream, the disciples were heavy with sleep. But after that, they went out into the world. They went out into the common, away from the fantastic and went into the vocation that they were called to. Perhaps that's what the dream is about?

Or perhaps, we have a message that calls all of us from the amazing sight of God in Jesus throughout all the ages to the world in which he created for us to be. Perhaps we are called to stand in awe of the wonderful, yet go to work in mission with God in the common. Perhaps... perhaps... and then again... maybe God wants me and you to ponder all of this at the door to eternity. To ponder at the door and to play on this earth in so many and wonderful ways... perhaps. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Jesus, you come to us... you definitely come to us... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing in particular. But was preaching on Transfiguration theme this morning and found the image which you've used. A member of the congregation asked who the artist was. I have no idea. Do you know?
Mike Hill in High Wycombe UK