Thursday, February 07, 2013

February 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Luke 5:1-11
Jesus Calls the First Disciples

Once while Jesus was standing beside the lake of Gennesaret, and the crowd was pressing in on him to hear the word of God, he saw two boats there at the shore of the lake; the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little way from the shore. Then he sat down and taught the crowds from the boat. When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, ‘Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.’ Simon answered, ‘Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet if you say so, I will let down the nets.’ When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break. So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, ‘Go away from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man!’ For he and all who were with him were amazed at the catch of fish that they had taken; and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. Then Jesus said to Simon, ‘Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching people.’ When they had brought their boats to shore, they left everything and followed him.

Reflection
Why do we follow Jesus? He's not here to show us a big catch of fish. So, why?

In this passage we see that Jesus and Peter were already friends. Peter respected Jesus and referred to Jesus as Master. Jesus was going to do more this time. The good fishing was done at night in the deep waters. In the daytime the fishing would be done in the shallow waters. Peter and his crew had been out all night and didn't catch a thing. To continue during the day you would fish the shallow waters. Jesus had Peter go out to the deep waters.

After Jesus spoke the word of God, Jesus has Peter go to the deep waters. One could take this thought in many directions. In the deep waters the men brought in a great catch. An amazing catch of fish that wasn't the idea of an experienced fisherman. Or was it? At this moment not only had Jesus made friends with Peter, but they were so amazed that James and John decided to follow Jesus as well.

It's not so much different today. Jesus comes to you and to me. Jesus comes to us and we become friends. We commune together. We lean on Jesus. Then Jesus takes us to deep waters. We go deep into the Word or we go deep into some situation and Jesus amazes us.

Our response? How can you help to not fall before Jesus and say, "Why me?" I'm sinful... I'm not worthy... I'm a nobody. Why do you choose me? But Jesus does choose you. Jesus did come to you. You are special in his eyes and he wants you with him always.

Our response? We fear this attention. We are awed by such heavenly power in our lives. We hear Jesus call and his comforting words. "Do not be afraid." We are obedient to the call. How else could we respond to God? How else could we respond to such a wonderful attention and love.

Why do we follow Jesus? Now, you tell me...

Prayer
Jesus, your love calls us out to deep water. You are my friend and you take me deep. You show me a love I can't understand. You chose me for something. You chose me a simple person and you show me love. As I follow you obediently, teach me, use me and send me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: