Monday, March 18, 2013

March 18th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Isaiah 50:4–9a

The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? All of them will wear out like a garment; the moth will eat them up.

Reflection
This passage is referred to as the 'Servant Song.' A passage that depicts the Servant facing the evil of this world. Facing evil, yet intent and focused on learning and hearing God.

Jesus' journey to the cross screams to me in this passage of scripture. The focus on the goal of his purpose and mission to save all people. Here in this passage, the servant is set upon giving. Giving, even in the midst and through the pain. A servant that knows and fully believes that God is his help and salvation.

Yes, Jesus had this intent passion for God's mission for him. Yes, we too, as baptized Children of God, have a similar mission in this world. We are to live the call of God in Jesus and proclaim what God has done for us in full faith and belief. We serve those who are in need. We love those for whom the world hates. We come through the storm, knowing that God is with us. We listen to the voice of God and respond in joy. Morning by morning God wakens us and gifts us with a call to action. We must listen and willingly act upon that call.

Pain will happen. This world is not our home. We are here for a purpose with a home freely given to us in heaven. But, for now, God chooses us and gifts us with our presence here in this fallen creation. Someday all things will be like God intended. But for now... we sing together with Jesus and the Children of God... the Servant Song.

Prayer
Lord; this morning and all through the day, I listen for your voice. I need to hear your Word each day. Help me to understand my call to action. Guide me through this life... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: