Sunday, March 03, 2013

March 3rd Reflection by Bill Lynch


Third Sunday in Lent 
Luke 13:1-9 (NRSV)
The parable of the fig tree 

At that very time there were some present who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. He asked them, "Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them -- do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did."

Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and found none. So he said to the gardener, 'See here! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why should it be wasting the soil?' He replied, 'Sir, let it alone for one more year, until I dig around it and put manure on it. If it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.' "

Reflection
Unless you repent... unless you repent you will all perish. To repent we need to remember our place in the whole scheme of things. We were born into a fallen race of people. People that chose to sin and separate from God. God did not choose to separate from us. We chose to turn from the will of God and make choices that God clearly told us was not his will. I'm talking about Adam and Eve and everyone since that time... except for Jesus. Jesus who is God.

We don't have to sin. But, we give in to the temptation and do sin. In this we establish our place in the whole scheme of things. We can only come to God through Jesus. To make this even easier for us, God chose to come to us in Jesus. Jesus came to us in flesh and blood to give his life to redeem us from our sin. This is the place of repentance. We turn from our sinfulness and change direction. We turn to face God. I remember a time kneeling at the altar rail doing this very thing with my Pastor. I repent... I change... through the Pastor's voice comes the gift of forgiveness from God. A change occurs. Not in God, but in myself. Was everything all simple and glorious after this. Well, sort of, but not really. You still pay the consequences of your sin. You still live with the reality of what you have done and the hurt you have caused yourself and so many other people that it's amazing to realize the spread of the cancer of sin.

Repentance is not like an elixir that makes all things hunk-dory. But it's what Jesus wants for us to do. Each and every one of us need to repent. What are you waiting for?

Prayer
Lord; hear my prayer and hear what I have to repent of this day. Be with me as I live the life of forgiveness. I know it's not all easy but you are always with me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: