Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12th Reflection - Magnify - by Bill Lynch


Luke 1:46b-55
 And Mary said,
‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
   and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour,
for he has looked with favour on the lowliness of his servant.
   Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for the Mighty One has done great things for me,
   and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those who fear him
   from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
   he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones,
   and lifted up the lowly;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
   and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
   in remembrance of his mercy,
according to the promise he made to our ancestors,
   to Abraham and to his descendants for ever.’

Reflection - Magnify
In this passage Mary sings a song. A song that we all could sing. A song that comes from the heart of a woman directed towards the heart of God. Yes, this is a song that I could sing and or a song that you could sing as well.

Yes, God has chosen me and you, his servants, to do God's work in this place and in this time. God has chosen his people and comes to them. Just as Jesus came from heaven to earth, Jesus comes into the hearts of all people. Jesus invades my heart and invades your heart as well.

Jesus' invasion is something of a miracle. God has appeared in you and in me and worked his will into our lives. At this miracle of birth both in flesh and in spirit, we cry out. Perhaps we sing for joy. We write or proclaim with what few words we can form, the glory of God's gracious love towards all people and towards you and me. God came into this world and loved the sinner. God came into this world and into our hearts to love us through Jesus.

What mercy God has shown, to come to us and live with us and walk with us throughout our lives to lead and guide us, to teach us, to save us from sin and death. What mercy and love God has shown to be birthed into our own flesh and blood to save us from hell. What mercy and love God has shown through Jesus to become part of our very being, to commune with our flesh in the bread and the wine and the body and the blood of Jesus.

God has shown us mercy throughout generations. From mother to child to father to brother to sister to grand-parent to grand-child to cousins and even to those we don't call family; God shows mercy to all people throughout all time.

Will you sing a song of praise as Mary did? Will you proclaim the name and glory of God boldly and serve God? How will you respond? In silence, or in song? Or perhaps you will, as Mary has done, place the focus of the lens of your life squarely on Jesus, our Lord, our King, our God, our Savior.

Prayer
Lord, may my life, my words, my voice, my singing, my actions, my silence, my prayer, my heart, my entire being focus on you; that all glory and honor and praise be given to you alone... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: