Sunday, December 08, 2013

December 8th Reflection - The Camel's Hair - by Bill Lynch


Matthew 3:1-12
In those days John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness of Judea, proclaiming, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’ This is the one of whom the prophet Isaiah spoke when he said,
‘The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
“Prepare the way of the Lord,
   make his paths straight.” ’
Now John wore clothing of camel’s hair with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then the people of Jerusalem and all Judea were going out to him, and all the region along the Jordan, and they were baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins.

 But when he saw many Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, ‘You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bear fruit worthy of repentance. Do not presume to say to yourselves, “We have Abraham as our ancestor”; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. Even now the axe is lying at the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

 ‘I baptize you with water for repentance, but one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing-fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing-floor and will gather his wheat into the granary; but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.’

Reflection - The Camel's Hair
You know, when you live in the wilderness you become like the wilderness. They say you are what you eat you know. But in my case, I think it is you are what you wear. So, here was this guy, living in the wilderness. He came to me and was named John. He came to me with a simple diet of what he could find in the wilderness. They say he ate locust and honey. The honey part was easy to understand. The locust part was up for debate. Sometimes he would drop locust on me and other times it might be seed pods. It really didn't matter. The point of it all was that this John lived in the wilderness and did what you would expect anyone else who lived in the wilderness would do... make do with what he could find, especially for food and clothing. So locust and honey for food and me for clothing.

I mean camel's hair clothes aren't that hard to come by. The camel's hair can be a good source of clothing and shelter. After all the camel is a good working animal and able to survive in the wilderness. So, being camel's hair myself made me feel pretty special and unique. After all I was like John too. I worked hard and lived a hard life and made use of everything I could.

And this guy, John, was special and unique as well. You see, he was different. Yes... he was unique. He wasn't fancy or anything like that, but you knew he had a call and a mission and a purpose given to him by God. Just as I had a mission to give John protection from the elements, and the crumbs of food that fell from his beard, John brought a message of one coming that would bring the entire human race, protection from eternal hell and damnation.

John told the people as they came out into the wilderness to repent of their sin. To forget about how they thought they were so special and place all of the "specialness" in the hand of One that would come after John. One that is the Messiah. One that is God. One that will be the Savior of all people. John, in his simple and honest and straightforward way, spoke from the heart. A heart that was with God and told any and all of the people that came to see him, to repent and get ready for this One who would be coming.

You didn't have to come from a fancy bloodline. You didn't need riches. You didn't need power. You didn't, and really couldn't, have anything but your plain old self to be ready for this One. And the time was now to repent and get ready for the coming of this One, this Messiah, this Savior, this God in flesh. Just like you are... rich, poor, dressed in work clothes and steel toes, or dressed for success, dressed in uniform, dressed in all the glory of whatever you were at that moment in whatever place you happened to be at the moment. Just come into the wilderness as you are and from where you are and repent. For the One is coming! The One that will save all people is coming!

So, there I was, me... myself... camel hair clothing... on this man named John. And I witnessed it all. Some came... some repented... some turned and left... some rejoiced... some were baptized... some just snorted and mocked... but to those who repented... they got ready for this One to come. This One! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Just as I Am
Lyrics: Charlotte Elliott
Just as I am - without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - though toss'd about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down;
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
-O Lamb of God, I come!

Just as I am - of that free love
The breadth, length, depth, and height to prove,
Here for a season, then above,

-O Lamb of God, I come!

Lord I come... but of the utmost importance... You come!
Come, Lord Jesus Come... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: