Friday, May 30, 2014

May 30th Reflection by Bill Lynch


1 Peter 4:12-14; 5:6-11
 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that is taking place among you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice in so far as you are sharing Christ’s sufferings, so that you may also be glad and shout for joy when his glory is revealed. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the spirit of glory, which is the Spirit of God, is resting on you.

 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. Discipline yourselves; keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters throughout the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Reflection
Hang in there always seemed like useless and insulting advice to me. It always seems like it's the last thing the person can think of to say to you. The last bit of advice when all else has failed. But when I hear this advice coming from God, I get it. Jesus did "hang in there" for you and for me. Jesus knows the subject matter of which he speaks. God intentionally became flesh and blood in order to know us and to be like us so that he could love us deeper than anything. A "Hang in there" from God means it all to me.

If I know a friend has been through the experience that I am enduring, the "Hang in there" brings with it a compassion and a caring. But if I know that the friend has never experienced what I am enduring the "Hang in there" seems to take on little meaning. I would rather that they just sit and listen and learn.

And this is where the humility comes in. Am I willing to receive the love and compassion and help of another person when I'm enduring a situation in life? Or do I just walk away from the offering of help from a friend, neighbor, Christian?

I think Jesus came into this world and "Hung in there" for each of us. For each of us so that we would humble ourselves and realize that we can't do this on our own. We need Jesus to "Hang in there" for all of us. We need to realize that we need the help and salvation of Jesus as he "Hangs in there" for all the world. We need Jesus and we also need each other.

Sometimes it's easier to give and dole out a "Hang in there" than it is to receive the love and compassion of another person's help when we are in trouble. Yes, I think first we must become humble and realize that we need the help of other's and the ultimate help of Jesus "Hang in there." We must be able to receive the love of God through Christ Jesus in order to give the love of God from within ourselves. We must receive Jesus "Hang in there" love before we can live to give that love to all the world.

So? So, now what? "Hang in there." Receive the love of Jesus as he "Hung in there" for you and for me and for all the world. Then live to give that love to all that God gives to you each day.

"Hang in there!"

Thanks be to God!

Song
Not a song, but rather an emphasis on God's great "Hang in there."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSrPxyW8ns

Prayer
Lord, I receive your wonderful gift of life. I give you thanks for "Hanging in there" for me and for all people. May I live the life you have chosen for me to live and give that same love to all you give to me... today... tomorrow, and forever. --- Amen

No comments: