Wednesday, May 07, 2014

May 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 23
A Psalm of David.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
   He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
   he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
   for his name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
   I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
   your rod and your staff—
   they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
   in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
   my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
   all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
   my whole life long.

Reflection
We all suffer from something. No one gets a free ticket from pain or sorrow or loneliness. We all suffer in some way because we live in a fallen world. We were born into a fallen world of sin and death. But this fact doesn't mean it's the end of us.

We all also live in community with one another. We gather together as sheep in the pasture. We come together in our own fears and pains to be individual yet in communion with one another. And in this community we are led.

We are led to the waters for restoration of our bodies and souls. We are led to the table to commune with the One who has created each and all of us and cares for all and each of us. We are blessed by the One who carefully takes care of our needs and anoints us with the touch of love and salvation.

And we are led to the realization that even though we all suffer from something we are all and each loved by the One. The One who came to feel exactly what it is like to be a sheep. The One who lived and died in our place in order that this fallen, sinful world would not be the end of it all. The One who will come again to lead us to eternal life where there will be no more tears or death or pain. The One who took all of this upon himself and rose again in order that we might believe in the One whom the Father loved and in that love gave to all people to follow. Yes, even as Jesus is in heaven, he gave us his Spirit so that the One may still be present with us until that final hope is fulfilled, and all throughout space and time, will gather in communion and worship the One... the only One.

As sheep we gather and as sheep we follow and as sheep we listen and as sheep we are loved by the One. And as sheep each and all... we "shall dwell in the house of the Lord
   my whole life long."

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChhZnNlhTg0

Prayer
Lord, when I'm fallen in the pain and the illness that is in this world, may I look to the flock of sheep and to you my Savior and Lord for the hope of eternal restoration. Use me this day to bring this same hope to another sheep in your pasture through the love you have taught. Guide my words and my actions... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: