Thursday, May 08, 2014

May 8th Reflection - Sometimes it's Silence! - by Bill Lynch


1 Peter 2:19-25
For it is to your credit if, being aware of God, you endure pain while suffering unjustly. If you endure when you are beaten for doing wrong, where is the credit in that? But if you endure when you do right and suffer for it, you have God’s approval. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you should follow in his steps.
‘He committed no sin,
   and no deceit was found in his mouth.’
When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the cross, so that, free from sins, we might live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

Reflection - Sometimes it's Silence!
This is some tough message! Especially for those of us who live in the United States as Christians. To think that we are persecuted by any stretch of the imagination to the extent that persecution is mentioned in this passage would be just imagination. We are not persecuted physically or mentally or on purpose to the point that we suffer hardship, if any, unless it is hardship that we exaggerate in our own minds.

Yet, in other countries of this world, I do read about persecution. I read in the news about Christians captured and tortured for their faith and some even put to death, especially in some African counties. I have heard speeches from the very captives themselves at Global Mission Events about the experiences they had to endure and it was shocking when I compare their situation to any type of persecution that I have faced in the United States.

So, I keep this in the back of my mind. I am an advocate for those who are really persecuted for their Christian beliefs, but what really hits home for me in this passage is the notion of how my words in response to a debate on my Christian beliefs can harm rather than do any good.

When I look upon how Jesus responded to those who accused him, I am humbled...

"‘He committed no sin,
   and no deceit was found in his mouth.’
When he was abused, he did not return abuse; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he entrusted himself to the one who judges justly."

How many times, when I was challenged for my beliefs and for many other things as well, have I responded with like verbal abuse? How many times have I gone on the defensive and played vicious offense in response to something I didn't agree with? How many times have my words hurt the other person?

I'm guilty and we all are guilty I'm sure. I've seen it happen all around. I've seen this type of abuse come from the mouths of people you would least expect. And this is the sin that we can come to realize and repent of in mass. We all are guilty and must look to Jesus as our guide, our example, our Savior. Jesus' example of how to handle persecution and even disagreement is our guide to how we can also act if we but slow down our anger and tame our tongue.

So, for me, this passage points out a sinful, selfish, sin in my life that I can reach out for forgiveness and pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance and change in my life. How about you?

Song
How I need the Holy Spirit to tame my evil tongue when I speak hurtful words and words full of revenge. This song reminds me of the changes needed in me as I seek forgiveness and change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJQigT79TY

Prayer
Lord, slow my thoughts down, ease my anger, when I am challenged for my faith. Forgive my harmful words spoken and acted out. Place the correct loving words into my mouth that need to be said or take away those words that are useless and harmful. Lead me to see your will and your way in what I say and what I do... today... tomorrow... and forever.

No comments: