Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 24th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Matthew 16:13-20
 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, ‘Who do people say that the Son of Man is?’ And they said, ‘Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.’ He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus answered him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.’ Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Reflection
Who do people say I am? Who do people say you are? I guess the answer to this question could vary widely. The answer would vary according to the audience that the question was being posed. The answer to this question would vary depending on the location that you posed the question. If I were to ask some people that did not even know me this question I would get a completely different answer than if I were to ask this question to friends, to family, to co-workers, to competitors, to those that loan money. to people in the church I attend, to people in churches I don't attend, to people in Egypt, to people in Middletown, to people in my neighborhood. This list goes on and on to what answer I could expect from this question.

First Jesus asks, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?" Then Jesus makes it personal, "But who do you say that I am."

We are judged by our words and our actions. We are judged by what we say and what we don't say and by what we do and what we don't do. All kinds of people judge by word and action our motives every day. Sometimes we are approved and many times we are not approved. The judgment is based on the values of the one judging and the values of the one being judged. Sometimes the judgment is based on appearance and sometimes the judgment is blind to appearance. Who do people say that I am and who do you say that I am? What a question!

I could just stand up and quote Scripture...
“And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God..."
(Luke 12:8)

But that is hollow and leaves the hearer wanting the answer to the question... Who do you say that I am?

For sure, as a Child of God, I certainly acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah. I see the proofs in scripture and through the history of the Church. How could I deny this as a follower, as a disciple of Jesus? But for me to recognize Jesus as the Messiah; I tested the Word and researched his actions. I looked at the Gospel and evaluated and asked all the questions. I still do this and will always question and evaluate. But none of this draws me to the firm conclusion that Jesus is the Messiah. It couldn't. I can't understand how this could be and will never understand this as a result of my own power of thinking. I can only accept this through faith.

After all... even if I were to ask "people" or even you or even friends and family; "Who do you say that I am?" the answers would vary so widely that no conclusion could be obtained. So, how am I to expect to be able to answer who Jesus is by my own reasoning or strength.

And this brings me to Luther's question to the meaning of the Third Article of the Apostles Creed.

Third Article Apostles Creed 
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of 
saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life  
everlasting. Amen. 

What does this mean? (Luther's Explanation)

I believe that I cannot by my own understanding or effort believe in Jesus Christ
my Lord, or come to him.  But the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel,
enlightened me with his gifts, and sanctified and kept me in true faith.
In the same way he calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Chris‐
tian church on earth and keeps it united with Jesus Christ in the one true faith.
In the Christian church day after day he fully forgives my sins and the sins of all
believers.  Only on the last day will he raise me and all the dead and give me
and all believers in Christ eternal life.

This is most certainly true!

So, who do you say Jesus is? How do you come to say that Jesus is the Messiah? For me, this involves the love of God, family, and above all else God's Word and God's action in Jesus coming down to me and to all people to live and give his life for me, one who does not deserve to be saved, yet out of love God chose to save me and all people.

The audience, the location or any of those other situations mentioned above fade when I call Jesus Messiah. For God sent Jesus not just for me but for all the people of creation to bring all creation into a harmonious relationship with God once again... just like God always wanted it. Jesus my and your Messiah that comes to us and calls us and gathers us and enlightens us and brings us into the one true faith... day after day... fully forgiving my sins and the sins of all believers.

"For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven."

Who do you say Jesus is? Do you believe what you say? Why?

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJzTV1uurU

Prayer
Lord of all, I believe... I don't know why I believe, but I believe! I believe that you are the Messiah. I believe but I don't understand. I believe because you alone are the one who came down from heaven to rescue me and save me from sin, death and the devil. You alone are the one who came down and gave your life that I might live. I believe because you have brought me to this time and this place and blessed me, called me, gathered me and enlightened me with the one true faith. Yes, Lord of all, I believe. May my words and my actions proclaim my belief in you in all I say and do day by day in your Kingdom... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: