Sunday, August 31, 2014

August 31st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Matthew 16:21-28
 From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and undergo great suffering at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, ‘God forbid it, Lord! This must never happen to you.’ But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling-block to me; for you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.’
 Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit them if they gain the whole world but forfeit their life? Or what will they give in return for their life?

 ‘For the Son of Man is to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay everyone for what has been done. Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.’

Reflection
What's your frame of mind? How do you set your goals? What is the focus of all of your ambition and action? What's your vision? What's your purpose? What's your mission? I've heard all of these expressions so many times through my life. Especially in the corporate world. They always began with the "your" aspect before they proceeded to the "our" aspect of thinking.

It seems to me in this passage Jesus isn't thinking about "your" as in himself, or even "our" as in Jesus and us. Jesus is thinking more on the lines of "all" and the "other" aspect of frame of mind, goals, focus, vision, purpose and mission. That's a change from the worldly thinking that is common to most of our culture.

Jesus encourages the setting of the mind on divine things and not on human things. Most human things seem to have a beginning and an ending with decay in-between. But divine things don't have a beginning or and ending and seem to have all growth in-between.

With this in mind we all can afford to give up the human which begins, decays and ends, to focus on the divine which does not begin and grows into eternity forever. Yes, we can deny ourselves just as Jesus stated. We can take up the cross and follow Jesus. For if the end of human things in death... why not take up the divine frame of mind, goals, focus of ambition and action, vision, purpose and mission? Jesus is going to show all creation the way to do this. Jesus is going to lead all the "human" towards the "divine." Through Jesus alone can we proceed from the "human" to the "divine." All through the intense focus that Jesus is about to display for all humanity to see throughout all time from this scripture passage forward.

I guess that's where Jesus states... "Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." That statement applies to "all" before the beginning and after the "end." We "all" have been graciously given this opportunity through Jesus birth, life, ministry, healing, suffering, death and resurrection. A wonderful divine gift given to all!

What's your frame of mind? How do you set your goals? What is the focus of all of your ambition and action? What's your vision? What's your purpose? What's your mission?

I think it's time to change. I think it's time to change my frame of mind from the "human" to the "divine." I think it's time we all approach our love for God in Christ Jesus with active love for God and for the "other"... all the "others" that God chooses to set in our lives.

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTlhRO0E8k

Prayer
Lord, when my frame of mind slips into that "human" aspect of living; forgive me and lead me towards your gracious frame of mind in the "divine." Help me to think of the "other" as I live this life loving you and all you give to me... "all" those you give... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: