Friday, September 02, 2022

Focus

 Jesus demands our focus, attention and close hearing to his word. I must give my undivided attention to Jesus even in the midst of the sinful, noisy, tempting world in which I live. Jesus demands my focus on him. And  that's a good thing. If I look away, I stray and am lost. If I focus on Jesus and listen I can hear his will and way in daily living. I will stray. I will look away. But Jesus daily calls me back. Daily Jesus grants me forgiveness and a new direction.

Jesus tells me to bear my cross. It seems funny that when he placed this demand, Jesus had yet to carry his own cross to that new hill of God. A New Testament Hill of Calvary where, like years before at Mount Sinai, God broke through to us, with the Law, but on this hill, Jesus breaks through to us with grace and love beyond anything I could do for myself or ever earn on my own.  

In Jesus day, they all knew what carrying the cross was about. It was a familiar and cruel sight to see. Yet, I suppose today we see just as many cruel sights of death and destruction as well. So, as I follow Jesus my sinful desires clash with this demand from Jesus to carry my cross and die to myself for the final joy of the gift of resurrection that only Jesus can give as a sign of his triumph for me. As I consider being a disciple of Jesus I must be serious in the act of carrying my cross out, I must see and count the cost that Jesus took upon himself for me.

It's important that I listen. I want to listen. I want to hear. I want to obey. I want to focus and listen and follow. For in the following lies not only death but life and joy in a resurrection free for me because of  the great cost Jesus paid in his, life, death and resurrection.

In joy I listen, pick up the cross, focus, and follow. How can I do anything else? It's a love given at a great cost. 

And it's all there for everyone to receive.

No comments: