Saturday, July 29, 2023

Bring out Your Treasure - A reflection on Matthew 13:44-52 - The Ninth Sunday after Pentecost

 

Matthew 13:44-52 ESV

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea and gathered fish of every kind. When it was full, men drew it ashore and sat down and sorted the good into containers but threw away the bad. So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

“Have you understood all these things?” They said to him, “Yes.” And he said to them, “Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house, who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.”

Bring Out Your Treasure

Three parables and a little bit of instruction.

First we have treasure in a field. Sometimes I read this and see it in two ways. But first I look at the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Kingdom of Heaven contains paradise. It calls memories of Catechism studies of God’s Kingdom mentioned in the Lord’s Prayer. Thy kingdom come…

How does God’s kingdom come? Well, it comes to me out of the past when Jesus entered this world as flesh, and even before this, when Jesus entered creation, and throughout all of the Old Testament. Jesus was present from and before the beginning as well. In fact, as we read the Old Testament, we see Jesus smeared all over each and every book. We see Jesus coming in flesh, but kind of hidden in the heart of God, and kind of hidden from the eyes of his people in Christophanies. A Christophany is an appearance or non-physical manifestation of Christ. In the Old Testament Jesus still comes to us and brings us God’s kingdom.

God’s Kingdom also comes to us in the here and now. In fact, part of praying for God’s Kingdom to come is asking that God’s Kingdom would come to yourself. May God’s Kingdom come to me, here and now, and may God use me to do his will in his kingdom, here in this time in this place, as well as in heaven. May God’s Kingdom come to me here and now, that I may please God, and do his will as I live in this realm of life.

And finally, God’s Kingdom comes in the end of time. God’s Kingdom is fulfilled when Jesus returns to raise all who believe in him to everlasting life. God’s Kingdom is so much more than just heaven. Heaven or Paradise is just the beginning. When Jesus comes and fulfills the Kingdom of God, we will be gathered as one with new bodies to live in a much more glorious way with God forever. There will be no more sin, death or evil.

So, yea, the Kingdom of God is worth everything. After all, God gave everything to have me or you. He gave his very life for his people.

Here in this first small parable, we see that the treasure is the main focus. The found treasure is a surprise, set there to be found.

And here is where my vision splits. Through my eyes the Gospel of the Good News of Jesus is the treasure that brings me endless joy. I see the treasure as Jesus and the Gospel.

Philippians 3:7 ESV

But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

Philippians 1:21 ESV

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

You, see in this side of the vision, I see Jesus and the Gospel as the treasure.

But what if I change it all around? What if I think of Jesus thinking that I am the treasure to be found? It was Jesus who gave up everything to come and find me. He gave his very life for my sin and became my very sin that I may live with him into eternity. I was buried in a field of my very own sin and God gave his very flesh, blood and life to pull me out and place me into the very Light of eternity before him.

So, you see, I have a split vision here. Maybe God speaks through this simple parable in multiple ways.

This split vision seems to apply to the Parable of the Pearl as well. Who is the merchant? Is the merchant me or Jesus? Split vision once again.

As I think of myself being the merchant, I think of how I am always seeking something. I’m seeking Jesus and the Gospel once again. I’m always looking and listening for God to come to me, and speak to me, and lead me, and guide me in my everyday living. Then, every once in a while, it happens. Yet, the finding of the pearl was no accident.

1 Corinthians 2:9-10 ESV

But, as it is written,

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
    nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—

these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.

And then in my split vision, I see myself as the pearl. I see Jesus giving everything for me, selling it all just for me. Split vision once again.

In the third parable of the net, I see a turn to something different. It reminds me of the message of the weeds and the wheat from last Sunday.

Yet this third parable still involves the Kingdom of God.

The net is like one thrown out into the sea and pulled towards the shore. The net gathers all kinds of fish and other crap as well. The Kingdom of God draws people in. Jesus wasn’t seeking perfect people for a pure church, but rather a gathering of all followers to offer forgiveness of sin and salvation. So, as the net draws in, it is full of all kinds, both good, bad, followers, and others. All are pulled towards the Kingdom of God.

Day by day the net is drawn. God draws the net. No one can escape the net. And yet, the draw of the net is not in our control. Each day the net draws us closer to the shore.

And then here it comes… the shore. At the shore I learn, as I’m with all those drawn in the net along my side, that it’s not up to me to judge the people in the net along with me. Judge nothing before the time.

1 Corinthians 4:5 ESV

Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

God does the judging. God looks to the heart of everyone. God knows who has abandoned him and turned inward upon themselves, trusting in a salvation of their own making.

But for me? I trust in God through Jesus forgiveness of my sin, and live for the One who draws the net.

So, finally Jesus asks his disciples… Do you get it? (In my words).

The disciples will be scribes. Scribes were trained in the things of God’s Kingdom. Thy Kingdom Come… remember the Lord’s Prayer?  The Scribes know the Law. But now, the disciples know both the Law and the Gospel. The Gospel that shows all people that God chooses us and loves us.

Trust in God… For, nothing separates me or you or anyone from the love of Christ Jesus.  For we, as God’s Treasure are called to bring out God’s Treasure of Jesus and the Gospel to all those God chooses to give to us… today… tomorrow… and forever. Bring out your treasure. Thanks be to God… Amen

 

 

 

No comments: