Saturday, July 08, 2023

Heaven Comes Down - Sixth Sunday after Pentecost - Matthew 11:25-30

 

Heaven Comes Down

Matthew 11:25-30

English Standard Version

At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Jesus says “I thank you…” A flood of praise to the Father from Jesus. A flood of praise for “babes” receiving the Gospel. Babes, common people, the workers, the untutored people of this world. “Babes,” the very souls of this world, that Jesus came to reach and teach and love and give the Gospel to, for all time.

True understanding must be given by God. I can’t obtain true understanding by my own effort. True understanding is a gift from above. Heaven Comes Down with this gift of the Way and the Truth and the Life, through God himself, in the form of the flesh of Jesus, and in the spirit of Truth in the Holy Spirit, all from the Father. True understanding is a gift from God as Heaven Comes Down to you and to me, day after day after day.

As Heaven Comes Down, I humbly acknowledge my need of a Savior. I know that sin dwells in me. I sin every day and hate that I sin every day, yet I still sin. I don’t want to sin, I don’t set out to sin, yet I sin. And I know that in the midst of my sinful being I need a Savior. A Savior to take away this power that sin holds on me and release me from my sinful life to a new life. So, I turn. I turn to God and look and reveal the sin in me that God is already aware of, but that I need to bring before the feet of Jesus.

Jesus came in humility, and I come to Jesus in humility. I come to Jesus aware that I’m but a “Baby.” I need Jesus to remove the power of sin from my life, to release me back into this world of sin, daily to serve and love God and those God gives to me every day of my life.

Aware of my sin, I can’t know heaven, unless heaven comes down to me. Jesus stoops down to earth and blesses me, and you and all creation. Jesus stoops down and gives creation the gift of faith. This faith is driven by the resurrection, that reveals Jesus, One with the Father, revealed through the Holy Spirit, once and for all time to all of God’s Creation. You see, Heaven Comes Down.

And Jesus invites us. Jesus calls all to come after him, to follow him. Jesus takes the Law, which shows me my sin, because he can, and he chooses to. Jesus is above the Law. Jesus is God. Jesus takes the Law which points me to my sin and removes it from my back, and gives me a “yoke” of love for God and one another and a “yoke” of praise to God. Jesus removes the power of sin over my life, and replaces this power with an easy burden of love for God and for neighbor.

When I’m at my weakest point, in the midst of the knowledge and weight of my sin, when I’m weary and tired and completely worn out. Heaven Comes Down. Heaven Comes Down in Jesus, to me, and to you, and to all the “babes” of this world. Jesus takes the burden of sin, forgives sin and gives us his power of eternal life.

The result of Jesus coming down?

 Rest… peace… calm… ease.

As Heaven Comes Down; Jesus plants faith in us. Faith that brings forth belief. Belief in God that frees us to serve God, free from our sin holding us back from loving God and those God gives to us each and every day.

The result of this Heaven that Comes Down?

Refreshment in the freedom from sin that Jesus gives to us day after day after day, yet once and for all time. It’s EASY! Freedom, lined with love. Freedom of a new “yoke.” A yoke no longer lined with the splinters of my sin digging into the flesh of my tired, sore neck. No! Freedom to wear a new Yoke of love for God and love for all the people God gives to me to love each and every day of my life.

Heaven Comes Down. Thanks be to God, that Heaven Comes Down to all the “babes” of creation, through the love of God in Christ Jesus… today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Amen

 


No comments: