Saturday, July 01, 2023

Fifth Sunday after Pentecost - Matthew 10:34-42 - Decide about Truth

 


Decide about Truth

Matthew 10:34-42 ESV

“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

“Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. The one who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and the one who receives a righteous person because he is a righteous person will receive a righteous person's reward. And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”

What are my priorities? What are your priorities?

We need to decide. Are we for Jesus or against Jesus? Neutrality is not possible when it comes to God. So, what is it?

Truth is more important than temporary harmony. Getting along isn’t the deal here in this passage. In this question, the human response will bring division. Here Jesus is presenting an option with no return to keeping the peace. Jesus came into this world to bring Peace and was termed the Prince of Peace. Jesus “Peace on earth” comes as a cost. A huge cost to Jesus and to you and I as well.

The object of Jesus coming was reconciliation with God. My sin and your sin attempt to pollute this relationship with God. Sin has brought pollution throughout time, bringing a separated relationship with God.

Jesus’ gift to us is peace, but not a peace through compromise. Jesus’ gift of peace to us comes through suffering and strife. And only through Jesus can we become what God created us to be.

As humans we tend to break down our trust into relationships with one another and with God, but here our trust breaks down into trusting God alone. Not one another, not myself or yourself, but trust in God alone.

If Jesus is Truth, then he IS God and must come first in our life. Jesus comes first! No rivals at all. No one comes before Jesus, not even myself or yourself.  Not your mom or dad, brother or sister or any other human being. Not money or goods, or anything we choose to think brings us life or preserves our life, especially for body. Not health or power or prestige. Not honor or glory. No! Jesus comes first!

We need to give up the physical and material life for Jesus. Only Jesus leads to true life. Nothing of ourselves can give us life. Not our works or gifts or power or glory in this place. Jesus is Truth and Life. Jesus comes first!

Through the Law, I become aware of sin. In my sin, I find that I can’t turn it around on my own and make everything come to a peaceful conclusion. I am guilty in my sin and deserve the punishment it brings. Only God can bring me peace through Jesus. But first he must die. And then I must die.

The cross is my self-denial. Lose your full life and all things for Jesus’ sake. We can’t travel two roads. If we lose our life to Jesus, our life is found. Once again, Jesus comes first!

So, Jesus calls us to a decision. Jesus calls us to decide about his Truth. Jesus comes to his disciples and confronts them with Truth. Jesus confronts us with his Truth, and bids us to do the hard thing. To make a decision for him, or against him. In Jesus is the Truth of Life through his death. In Jesus is the Truth of what really matters. In Jesus we are called to take a stand. Does Jesus come first? If not, do you come first? Does anything else come first?

Jesus comes first! He must come first. Jesus came first and took our sin upon himself. Jesus defeated the power of sin, death and evil, once and for all time. Jesus comes first in bringing life from death, and resurrection to a new life with God forever.

Jesus comes first. My death, your death and death come second, third, fourth…

And then… and then… Jesus’ resurrection from death to life comes first. Your resurrection, my resurrection all Jesus’ disciple’s resurrection comes next to live with God forever in his Kingdom.

Jesus comes first!... today… tomorrow… and forever! Thanks be to God!

 

 

No comments: