Saturday, October 21, 2023

He Had a Coin After All! - Matthew 22:15-22 - Twenty first Sunday after Pentecost

 


He Had a Coin After All!

Matthew 22:15-22 ESV

Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words. And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone's opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances. Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the coin for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.” When they heard it, they marveled. And they left him and went away.

This passage spoke to me this week. I’m just now physically recovering from all the work involved with moving my recently deceased brother-in-law, Steve’s, worldly goods, to sell in a garage sale and to vendors who would buy his goods. We need the cash to continue to pay his mortgage and utilities until his house and car can go through the probate courts. Anyway, this took about three times the handling and moving of some heavy items and I’m tired and sore!

Thursday my wife, Sue and I took some silver and metal to a coin and jewelry dealer to convert into cash to be deposited into an account to handle his bills for now. Coins with images of government officials and symbols of various natures. Coins of worldly goods. Worldly goods only of value here in this place and in this time. Goods handled over and over by not only Steve, but the rest of us as well. Goods worth not even much here in this place and in this time. Goods totally worthless in the heavenly realm.

In this passage, religious leaders and government officials are attempting to trap Jesus. They want to eliminate Jesus’ power and eliminate Jesus himself, so that they can continue in their own power. These two factions, the Pharisees and the Herodians, are not friends, so to speak. These two factions are mostly opposed to one another, but here they come together with a common cause. To get rid of Jesus before the people of the day.

So, they pose a question in order to trap Jesus.

Do, you pay the tax, Jesus?

Well, if Jesus says, yes, then his followers will declare Jesus a traitor.

If Jesus says, no, then the Roman rulers will deal harshly with Jesus.

Jesus, always teaches that God is above all. Jesus spoke of his Father constantly.

Look back on Jesus’ answer to the question…. Give to Ceasar the things that are Ceasar’s and give to God the things that are God’s. (my paraphrase).

What things are Ceasar’s?

What things are God’s?

But first let’s step back.

From what vantage point is Jesus being attacked?

From what vantage point does Jesus answer?

Apparently, Jesus didn’t carry a coin.

Whose likeness is on the coin?

Jesus’ answer implies that we are to give our coins in taxes owed to the government, but to give ourselves to God.

And this takes me back to my past week of handling the worldly goods of my brother-in-law, Steve.

If I give to God, heart, mind, and soul, I am able to love my enemies and oppressors. I am able to love even the Herodians and the Pharisees.

Why?

Because, I have fixed my heart on my heavenly treasure. I realize that worldly goods only fade away to dirt and trash. Something like what has happened to all of Steve’s worldly goods. They are being cashed in to continue payment towards worldly utilities and mortgage. Cashed in for nothing of heavenly good whatsoever.

And all of this leads me to something more meaningful for me and for you as well.

If my life were a coin…. Whose likeness would that coin’s inscription contain?

Well… God made me in his own image. The inscription begins with God’s image.

But what have I done with the coin of my life?

I have defaced it! I wear it out. I make a wreck of it to the point that maybe the image of God is gone from the face of the coin God has given me with his image on it.

But…

When I turn, and give myself to God in my mess of life and sin, I find that God has already sent Jesus to re-mint himself in me. I find that Jesus takes my worn-out coin from me to himself and returns to me his very own, perfect, shiny, new coin of everlasting life.

So…

Only through God’s gift of Jesus may other people see clearly the image of God in my life on the coin that Jesus gives to me. There was no way possible that I could do anything to make my coin shiny and new on my own. I need, I depend, on Jesus’ gift of his own shiny new coin to me.

Sort of like the message of last week. Jesus dressed me up in his own righteous robe of everlasting life that I may attend the Great Feast. This week, Jesus gives me a brand-new shiny coin of life that I may live with him forever.

Jesus had a coin after all! A new coin for me! And he has a new coin for you as well. Turn to God and give that old worn-out sinful thing that you have been lugging around in your pocket, hiding away behind the bath towels. That coin is worth nothing! But the coin Jesus has to give you is worth everything… today… tomorrow and forever.

Lord, as I hear your call, I sing a new song. May I always turn and serve you the living and true God beyond all time, and into eternity. --- Amen

 

No comments: