Monday, October 16, 2023

The Banquet - Matthew 22:1-14 - Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost




The Banquet

Matthew 22:1-14 ESV

And again Jesus spoke to them in parables, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son, and sent his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding feast, but they would not come. Again he sent other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner, my oxen and my fat calves have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding feast.”’ But they paid no attention and went off, one to his farm, another to his business, while the rest seized his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed those murderers and burned their city. Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding feast is ready, but those invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the main roads and invite to the wedding feast as many as you find.’ And those servants went out into the roads and gathered all whom they found, both bad and good. So the wedding hall was filled with guests.

“But when the king came in to look at the guests, he saw there a man who had no wedding garment. And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Let’s start off with the equals in this parable…

King = God

Son = Jesus

Wedding Feast = Eschatological Banquet (The Great Feast for all time)

Servants = God’s messengers

Murder of Servants = Murder of prophets and Jesus

Sending servants = Mission of the Church

Man without garment = People (many) at the last judgment who did not repent and turn to God for salvation but rather depended upon their own works

In this parable, once again, we see how the Kingdom of God will pass outward to those who produce the fruit of repentance. God repents us and gives us his grace. We are invited to the Great Feast of all time. In this invitation, we must be careful not to take God’s saving grace too lightly. We repent… we turn away from our selfish desire to only be concerned about the affairs of the day, and miss the call of Christ to his Wedding Banquet.

This Banquet is for those who want to learn the true joy in Christ. No one at this banquet can abuse the grace of God. There is a response to God’s grace. Turn away from self and turn to God.

The church on earth contains both bad and good. God, in his time, will separate this out.

The question for me here is… Am I also like the man improperly clothed?

As the sinner that I am, will I be speechless before God?

When the Truth of God comes to me… will I hide in myself? Will I rely on my own garment to save myself?

Or… will I turn to the Truth? Will I see my sinfulness? Will I give up myself and my selfish ways knowing that I cannot save myself? Will I see that I must shed my sinful clothes and give my sin to Jesus? Will I throw off myself and receive the great gift of Jesus righteousness that he gives freely to me?

Listen to God’s call to the Banquet. See what Jesus did in his death and resurrection. Look at the new creation and new life Jesus gives as he took upon himself your sin. Jesus put on my dirty sinful garment and gives to me and to you his own clean and beautiful and splendid white garment of his righteousness.

Why?

So that you may live with him and celebrate eternal life with him and feast with him at the Great Banquet prepared for all who turn to God today.

A joyous banquet on the mountain of God. A Banquet where we will lack nothing at all for all eternity in life.

 Turn to God. Give up our garment of sin and put on the garment of righteousness that only Jesus can offer each and all of us… today… tomorrow… and forever. Thanks be to God!

No comments: