Monday, October 09, 2023

Who Do You Think You Are? - Matthew 21:33-46 - Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost




Matthew 21:33-46 ESV

“Hear another parable. There was a master of a house who planted a vineyard and put a fence around it and dug a winepress in it and built a tower and leased it to tenants, and went into another country. When the season for fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the tenants to get his fruit. And the tenants took his servants and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. Again he sent other servants, more than the first. And they did the same to them. Finally he sent his son to them, saying, ‘They will respect my son.’ But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, ‘This is the heir. Come, let us kill him and have his inheritance.’ And they took him and threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. When therefore the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” They said to him, “He will put those wretches to a miserable death and let out the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the fruits in their seasons.”

Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures:

“‘The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
    and it is marvelous in our eyes’?

Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people producing its fruits. And the one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”

When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they perceived that he was speaking about them. And although they were seeking to arrest him, they feared the crowds, because they held him to be a prophet.

As I look on this passage; I once again look back to my studies from last week. I look back to the sermon that I heard on Sunday and I look back to the Old Testament and think of the Creation Story. I ponder about the number of times God uses the Creation Story over and over with his people and with myself. I stop to think how God set humankind up with Paradise, with a vineyard that was protected and guarded and perfect. I ponder about all the gifts God has graciously given me in my life and how God has sustained me through all sorts of occasions. Yet, I like so many other of God’s people, turn from God, I turn from God and spoil what he has given me with my own selfishness. I spoil so many things by wanting all the control for myself. I want to be my own master of my own destiny on my own terms. I fail to realize all that I have been given and turn from the sweet set up God has placed me in and think that I can control it all.

This happened over and over by individuals and peoples throughout the Old Testament and throughout time. God gives everything we need to live into eternity, yet we turn from that everything and try to control our own destiny. My destiny is not for me to control. My destiny and your destiny and the destiny of everything does not fall into that place of my control, your control or any group of people to control. We are the created… not the creator. And we all tend to forget this. We all fall into sin and try to become the creator of ourselves and others of whom we have no business controlling.

God provides a vineyard for our life. A vineyard that is limited to what God chooses to limit, yes, but we can and are permitted to refuse God’s gift of this vineyard if we so choose. And many times, I have chosen to do this. And when I choose to refuse God’s gift; I once again have to ponder… do I have reverence for the Son of God when I do this? Do, I stop to realize what God does in my place when I turn from him and turn to myself? Do I realize what God has done for me to give me a chance to turn back to him?

There is conflict between Jesus and Israel’s leaders. There is conflict between Jesus and me. There is conflict between Jesus and this world. In this parable, Jesus predicts his excommunication and his death. In this parable, Jesus also declares his authority as Son of God.

The Owner sent servants and servants and servants, yet you, yet I, yet the world, beats and kills them. Why? We want the vineyard… remember the Creation Story… we want control of Paradise… we want control of the world… we want control of our lives… we want control of the gifts God has given us, all for ourselves. We want control and choose to separate ourselves from God. So, God sends his own son. God sends his own son that this Creation, this Paradise, this Temple from above may be set aright once again. It’s God’s vineyard! It’s God’s Temple! It’s God’s Paradise!

So, Jesus mentions the Temple cornerstone. The Temple cornerstone was about 19 feet long and 7 feet thick. It was a BIG deal. Do we build our lives on Jesus? Or do we, like the vineyard tenants build our lives on something else? Do we build on something we think we can control, or earn or base our lives upon?

When disaster comes, we tend to look on the discarded cornerstone in our lives and wonder, why we didn’t build our lives on Jesus.

The real fruit of the vineyard is when the tenants turn to God in repentance. We turn to God because we see how we have put the Owners Son to death on a cross just so we could be in control of something we have no business of controlling in the first place.

Lord, forgive me. Forgive me for turning away from you and to myself. Forgive me when I turn to something other that you. I want to know Christ. May your face shine on me, on my neighbor and on all who come to believe in your will and your way that we may be saved. May I bear the fruit you choose for me and may I daily return to you and live for you, and in you, and with you… today… tomorrow… and forever. --- Amen

 

No comments: