Sunday, December 27, 2009

December 27th - Reflection

Reading

First Sunday of Christmas
Luke 2:41-52 (NRSV)
Jesus increased in favor with all

Now every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the festival of the Passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up as usual for the festival. When the festival was ended and they started to return, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Assuming that he was in the group of travelers, they went a day's journey. Then they started to look for him among their relatives and friends. When they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem to search for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, your father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety." He said to them, "Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" But they did not understand what he said to them. Then he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them. His mother treasured all these things in her heart.

And Jesus increased in wisdom and in years, and in divine and human favor.

Reflection
What's the big deal? Why were you searching? Didn't you know where I would be?

Why have you treated us like this? We search and search and search and can't find you until we return to the temple and there you are! We find you in your Father's house.

Questions from Jesus and questions from Mary and Joseph and question from ourselves...

I wonder if Jesus was thinking...What's the matter with these people? I was sent by my Father into their world. I became flesh for their benefit. I came to them after all! Why would they be searching for me when I've been searching for them all along and have arrived! What more could these people want? Here I am and I'm in my Father's house! Go figure!!! It's not that hard!

I wonder if Mary and Joseph were thinking...That kid! We know he's special but for Pete's sake! Come on, just stay with the crowd! It's not that hard! Now we have to go hunt you down and find you. I wonder if he's lost now? I wonder where he could be? Let's return to Jerusalem and see if we can find him!

And then I think and reflect...I think I can find Jesus with my own efforts. I search and search and search. I read and reason and look and listen. But then Jesus comes to me. I really didn't come to him, he came to me. He comes to the door and asks me out to play. He found me, I didn't find him. Jesus was where he has always been, with his Father. It's not that hard! In fact, it's not hard at all. God took flesh and came down to us, revealed in Jesus and walks through this life with us. We can find him in the temple whenever. Don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit? You can find Jesus present right there whenever. It's not that hard! Jesus is with you. You are not your own, like you like to think. You are God's! Jesus is with you and in you. No wonder Jesus was puzzled!

And then Mary treasured all these things in her heart, and Bill, and Joseph and you too! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
What a treasure! What a gift! Thanks be to God! Thanks! ---Amen

No comments: