Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 31st - Reflection

Reading
John 8:12-19 (NRSV)
I am the light

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." Then the Pharisees said to him, "You are testifying on your own behalf; your testimony is not valid." Jesus answered, "Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid because I know where I have come from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is valid; for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is valid. I testify on my own behalf, and the Father who sent me testifies on my behalf." Then they said to him, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also."

Reflection
So, here it is, the end of 2009. Another year of reflection. Another year to read the Word. Earlier in the year I was reflecting on the passages of the "One Year Bible" program. I recall reading that Luther would read through the Bible twice in one year. He would "shake the leaves" of the passages to listen to God's Word. For me, it's not so much a goal now of reading through the Bible, but more a discipline of listening. Listening to God, active day after day, in life and in the daily movement of faith.

Movement towards that great Light. But not so much my movement towards the Light, but the Light's movement towards me. A movement of wisdom and understanding and growth in faith, freely given through the pages of the Word, in the mouth's of so many people, and by the examples set right in front of my face, day after day. Light revealed daily, and glimpses and gifts of faith growing. Growing right inside of me. Light revealed in the sacraments so graciously given. Light revealed!

So, here it is, the end of 2009, yet really just a continuation of Light shining in this world. Light showing the way. Light revealing the Son, the Father and the Spirit. Light coming to my door day after day and inviting me out into the Kingdom. Light to invade me and shine in me and through me. Light to shine brightly in this world. Reveal the Light as the Light reveals Himself, today, tomorrow and forever. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, the blessings You pour out are wonderful! I give You all thanks and praise. Walk with me this day and reveal Light. Reveal Your Light to me, in me, and through me this day. ---Amen

No comments: