Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 21st - Reflection


Psalm 119:97-104 (NRSV)
God's word like honey

Oh, how I love your law!
It is my meditation all day long.
Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies,
for it is always with me.
I have more understanding than all my teachers,
for your decrees are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged,
for I keep your precepts.
I hold back my feet from every evil way,
in order to keep your word.
I do not turn away from your ordinances,
for you have taught me.
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore I hate every false way.

Reflection
It's funny how things have changed, since Jesus came. I still love the law! In some way it seems strange to me to say this, but I still love the law. The law convicts me of my sin. The law deals out a sentence of death for me. The law condemns me to hell. But, oh, how I still love the law.

As I realize my sin, and then realize that Jesus took on my sin while hanging from that cross, my sin died with Jesus that day. And yet he rose again to new life. Oh, how I love the law. Oh, how I love Jesus!

The law, now put to death, released me to a new life in Christ. Because of what Jesus has done for me, I am free to be made new in Christ.

Oh, how I love the law. Now I am free to obey the law! I am free to work at the law and free to fail, because Jesus put the consequences of my sin to death. Sure, I'll suffer the reality of the harm sin does to me and those around me, in and through my sin. But Jesus has put the ultimate death to death.

I am now free to study the law and in that freedom obey the law, with all my heart. For the law was placed as a gift from God to me and to you. And the law only makes me and you better each day. What a gift from Jesus! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, knowing I'm convicted of sin, yet forgiven, frees me to love your law and abide by it. May I bring joy to you as you have brought endless joy to me. May I live in your will and your way and your call...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: