Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 31st - Reflection


Isaiah 2:12-17 (NRSV)
Pride shall be brought low

For the Lord of hosts has a day
against all that is proud and lofty,
against all that is lifted up and high;
against all the cedars of Lebanon,
lofty and lifted up;
and against all the oaks of Bashan;
against all the high mountains,
and against all the lofty hills;
against every high tower,
and against every fortified wall;
against all the ships of Tarshish,
and against all the beautiful craft.
The haughtiness of people shall be humbled,
and the pride of everyone shall be brought low;
and the Lord alone will be exalted on that day.

Reflection
Don't you just love it that there will be a day for that guy that says to you, "I hope you realize who you are speaking to?" Or the guy who tells you how much money he is making at his job and makes sure you know that you are working "under" him? Don't you just love it when you find out that the haughty people will be humbled and their pride shall be brought low? Don't you just love it?

But then the trap is set. Why do I have to revel in someone Else's demise? Aren't I to love this person as well? Am I being humble in reveling in another persons demise? This is my neighbor, shouldn't I speak well of them and explain their actions in the kindest way?

Don't be so vain to believe that the passage doesn't apply to yourself as well! Learn and change and live the life Jesus has prepared for you. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord forgive me when I'm too quick to judge and open my heart to all your people. --- Amen

No comments: