Wednesday, September 01, 2010

September 1st - Reflection


Psalm 119:65-72 (NRSV)
God blesses the humble

You have dealt well with your servant,
O Lord, according to your word.
Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
for I believe in your commandments.
Before I was humbled I went astray,
but now I keep your word.
You are good and do good;
teach me your statutes.
The arrogant smear me with lies,
but with my whole heart I keep your precepts.
Their hearts are fat and gross,
but I delight in your law.
It is good for me that I was humbled,
so that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Reflection
When you go through the depths of your sin, you will learn to be humble. You will learn compassion for all of those your sin has hurt. You will learn the reason that sin is harmful. You will learn the love of your Savior. You will learn to grow and be renewed. You will grow into something more wonderful and new through Christ's forgiveness. When you go through the depths of your sin, you will learn to be humble and delight in the law.

When you go through the depths of illness and pain, you will learn to be humble.  You will learn that it's more that just about you. You can't fix yourself and need help. You will learn to ask for help and prayer and directions to follow. You will learn love and compassion from the face of Jesus in another. When you go through the depths of illness and pain, you will learn to be humble and to trust in the Lord.

When humbled, you grow into the creation God intends for you to be. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, it's great to be taught humility. Strengthen me so that I may strengthen others with compassion, love, and understanding. --- Amen

No comments: