Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15th - Reflection


Zechariah 2:1-5; 5:1-4 (NRSV)
Visions of mercy and judgment

I looked up and saw a man with a measuring line in his hand. Then I asked, "Where are you going?" He answered me, "To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and what is its length." Then the angel who talked with me came forward, and another angel came forward to meet him, and said to him, "Run, say to that young man: Jerusalem shall be inhabited like villages without walls, because of the multitude of people and animals in it. For I will be a wall of fire all around it, says the Lord, and I will be the glory within it." ...

Again I looked up and saw a flying scroll. And he said to me, "What do you see?" I answered, "I see a flying scroll; its length is twenty cubits, and its width ten cubits." Then he said to me, "This is the curse that goes out over the face of the whole land; for everyone who steals shall be cut off according to the writing on one side, and everyone who swears falsely shall be cut off according to the writing on the other side. I have sent it out, says the Lord of hosts, and it shall enter the house of the thief, and the house of anyone who swears falsely by my name; and it shall abide in that house and consume it, both timber and stones."
Reflection
This new Jerusalem being rebuilt at the time was perhaps, in this vision, even another Jerusalem. A city that God would inhabit that had no boundaries and that all in it would have to appeal to the law to inhabit. A new city opened to you and me that we could only enter through the blood of Jesus. Jesus shed his blood and gave his life that we too may have life and inhabit this wonderful city without bounds. God will rebuild the city destroyed by mankind and make it a city to be inhabited by all his people who trust, hope, worship, believe and serve him. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, forgive me for the destruction I have caused. Open wide your city that I too may enter through the blood of Jesus. Your love is amazing. Permit me to joyful union with you and all the saints... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: