Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 27th - Reflection



First Sunday of Advent
Mark 13:24-37 (NRSV)

The coming of the Son of Man
"But in those days, after that suffering,
the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light,
and the stars will be falling from heaven,
and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.
Then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in clouds' with great power and glory. Then he will send out the angels, and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.
"From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see these things taking place, you know that he is near, at the very gates. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
"But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Beware, keep alert; for you do not know when the time will come. It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his slaves in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to be on the watch. Therefore, keep awake for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake."

Reflection
One thing for sure out of these passages is Jesus will come again. The time he will come is uncertain but Jesus will come again. The signs of the nearness of his coming don't lead me to think of any particular time other than anytime. I suppose he will make it clear to me if stars fall and the sun darkens and the moon doesn't shine. But I really don't want to get all caught up in watching and waiting for Jesus coming.

I would rather spend my time walking with Jesus, learning his will and his way and applying that to those Jesus came to save. I would rather not waste time on trying to figure out the day of Jesus return. I would rather not waste time trying to watch everything moment of history on the earth or in the sky in an attempt to figure out the day Jesus will be coming.

I feel as if when Jesus, Moses, Elijah and that other friend come to my door each day and Jesus wants to know if Billy can come out to play...Jesus has come to me. So why worry about what he is going to do with the day. If Jesus decides today is the day for playing in the clouds then let's do it.

I guess my point is this. Just get yourself with Jesus. Do the simple things first. Hear, listen, see and believe in Jesus. Then the Holy Spirit will gift you with all you need and your faith will grow. You will know your call in this life and what steps to take. You won't be the burning success that the world has painted as successful, but you will be a humble servant of God doing the best you can with the gifts you have given that is in need of forgiveness. Your desires will change and you will be content to follow Jesus day after day. Even if Jesus says today it's time we meet in the clouds.

So why try to calculate the day this will happen. You're just going to sound like that Garman in the car when you are lost and so is the Garman... "recalculating"... "recalculating"... "recalculating."

I look forward with joy and thanksgiving to this day in the clouds when I can proclaim all glory and honor to Jesus. But that day is a gift to receive in the future few second, minutes, hours, years or decades. I'll leave that up to God. For now I will praise, honor, and glorify my Savior as he comes to my door each day... "Can Billy come out to play?" Sure! See you later Mom, I'm going outside! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I look forward to your arrival each and every day. I look forward to reliving my baptism with those rich waters flowing and cleansing me in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. I look forward to that sign of the cross on my forehead as I am marked as yours forever. As I remember my baptism and see how through my hearing and listening and believing in Jesus that my faith has grown each day, I look forward to going out to play with you and all you bring along each day, as you teach us how to put hands and feet into the love your have given to all the world. This thing is forever and I give you all the thanks, honor, glory and praise... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: