Saturday, December 10, 2011

December 10th - Reflection


Psalm 126 (NRSV)
God does great things for us
When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,
we were like those who dream.
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
and our tongue with shouts of joy;
then it was said among the nations,
"The Lord has done great things for them."
The Lord has done great things for us,
and we rejoiced.

Restore our fortunes, O Lord,
like the watercourses in the Negeb.
May those who sow in tears
reap with shouts of joy.
Those who go out weeping,
bearing the seed for sowing,
shall come home with shouts of joy,
carrying their sheaves.


Reflection
Life is full of emotions. We can go all over the place with our emotions over various spans of time. One of the best emotions and release of stress for me is laughter. Laughter at the situation, laughter at the release from tears, laughter in the midst of stress and even laughter brought on by laughter of others. But the top laughter is one in which I see the humor of God. Especially when it involves a good laugh at myself. When you see the comedy in your own foolish actions or just the simplicity of thinking that you are more than you really are. God can bring forth some laughter, when we realize that we don't know as much as we thought and that we are humble creatures of God's creation, there is laughter.

One of the most loved pictures in my home is a picture of Jesus having a good belly laugh. I love this depiction of Jesus. I'm sure he found laughter in life as joyous as you or I do. Some day I just want to see Jesus face to face and have a good laugh. What was I thinking! For that matter, Jesus, what were you thinking! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, thanks for that release that laughter brings to life. Our friendship goes way beyond laughter into spiritual joy. Thanks! May I laugh with you and someone you give to me this day. --- Amen

No comments: