Friday, December 16, 2011

December 16th - Reflection


Hebrews 1:5-14 (NRSV)
The advent of one higher than angels
For to which of the angels did God ever say,
"You are my Son;
today I have begotten you"?
Or again,
"I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son"?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
"Let all God's angels worship him."
Of the angels he says,
"He makes his angels winds,
and his servants flames of fire."
But of the Son he says,
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
and the righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.

You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
with the oil of gladness beyond your companions."
And,
"In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like clothing;
like a cloak you will roll them up,
and like clothing they will be changed.
But you are the same,
and your years will never end."
But to which of the angels has he ever said,
"Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet"?
Are not all angels spirits in the divine service, sent to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Reflection
Makes you think Paul is picking on angels. But in another way the angels have the glorious work that humans long for; they are servants and messengers of the gospel. It doesn't appear to me that angels are in need of salvation. But humans have Jesus.

I'm not convinced the ranking of humans and angels matters or is the point. The point is that God became man in Jesus to save humans from their sinful nature and bring humans back into the fold of the physical and spiritual realm as one with God.

Sure Jesus is superior to angels and humans, and maybe both need salvation to one degree or another, and both of us are blessed. It's not about any act of rank that we may have. It's about the One who leads us, guides us, lives and dies for us that makes all the difference. It's about the love that God has for creation. It's about how we treat that beloved creation, visible and invisible, that spreads the will of God. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, my pecking order is the order you desire for me. It can't be about what I want and how I can gain. You sent your Son to set the example and Jesus leads and guides us along with way. You show us the ones we are to love and respect and serve, day by day. Give me your words and your actions as I meet each person or situation that I encounter this day that I may do your will and serve you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: