Saturday, January 21, 2012

December 21st Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 62:5-12 (NRSV)
In God is my safety and my honor

For God alone my soul waits in silence,
for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honor;
my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us.
Selah

Those of low estate are but a breath,
those of high estate are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
they are together lighter than a breath.
Put no confidence in extortion,
and set no vain hopes on robbery;
if riches increase, do not set your heart on them.

Once God has spoken;
twice have I heard this:
that power belongs to God,
and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord.
For you repay to all
according to their work.

Reflection
So, what does the future look like? What's the outcome of life? We really don't know. We may think we have our future planned and carefully played out before us, but we really don't know. Did David know he was going to be a king when he was a shepherd? I don't think so. Can anyone predict illness that may overcome them? How do you predict an accident in a car? Do you really know if you will be involved in a tornado?

The future of life is uncertain. The events of life vary for the rich and the poor, the healthy and the ill. We can't rely on the money we have set aside, we can't trust in our houses, cars, or whatever else we have accumulated. All could be here today and gone tomorrow for any one of us. Depending on the situation all things can become disappointing. But one thing holds true.

As this psalm looks forward, we find that one thing we can trust in is the salvation of God provided for each one of us. With faith in God we have a stability that is steadfast and constant. With God, we all have a future that brings hope. With God we rest assured that God has the power, and the steadfast love to hold us safe in God's hands even as we navigate this fearful life we live. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I look to you with faith, knowing that Jesus died for all. I look to you to guide me in the purpose you have for me as I live in this unknown of life here and now. I know that you hold all the power and love I and all people ever need. Be with those whose lives are uncertain and fill them with your presence and peace... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: